This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

So many bands throughout history have been labeled simply as “boy bands.” Even famous male singers who have the majority of female fans have a stigma surrounding them and their identity. These can be often overlooked, and bands or artists with mostly female fans supporting them can be seen as less serious. However, so many of these bands have gone on to break records, change history, and become some of the most well-known bands of all time. This shows the real impact that can be made by women in the world and the music industry. 

The Beatles, David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Queen, Aerosmith, BTS, 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, and so many more; these examples have all gone to achieve great things and break records people never expected them to break. They were making history in the process, with the help of just ordinary people supporting them. These creators started as small artists and gained a mostly female following, working hard to gain credibility. So many artists have needed to prove themselves to be taken seriously in the music industry. Pop culture even experiences the impact of female topics, which have slowly evolved into more mainstream things in recent years.

Female fans have been labeled as crazy at times, and while there can be many passionate fans seen throughout history. It just shows the power that females can have when they join together over a common interest. Not to say that those artists were not talented enough to make it on their own, but the help from female fans helped to achieve even more greatness. While the artists were often overlooked at the start of their career, the female noise seemed to draw more attention, even if it was in a  negative way. The music industry so often does not acknowledge the talent of those who deserve it, but the fans do their best to make sure their favorite artists are recognized. 

Women supporting each other and the causes they believe in can lead to great things, even if it is to impact a band or artist. These examples and their effect on history within the music industry have been extremely influential. So while much stigma can be created surrounding “boy bands” and male artists, that has the power to eventually skyrocket careers. Women can even provide a safe space for fans, supporting each other and their common passion for many years, to achieve something. Just proving the impact that women can have on the music industry and pop culture simply by being passionate about something.

Los Angeles -> Honolulu I am a first-generation college student born and raised in Southern California. I'm currently majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing at HPU and love my life on Oahu! My dream job would be working on an NHL social team due to my combined love of photography and hockey.