The Emotions of a Soon-To-Be Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

It still has not hit me that I am graduating college and moving away from Hawai’i, the place I have called home for the last 3 years. And I don’t think it will hit me until I am boarding the plane, not knowing when I will be back. I will be leaving the friendships that I have made, the local restaurants I have eaten at countless of times, and the “auntie” at the Safeway checkout counter that waves everytime I walk into the store. It’s a bittersweet moment because I am ready to close this chapter of my life, but I am also not ready to leave it. With that being said, here are some emotions that I, as well as many other soon-to-be grads, are experiencing during this pivotal time of our lives.

Stressed.

Not only do you have finals to think about, now you have to make sure you pass all your classes, start packing, get rid of all the stuff you have accumulated over the years and then deal with all the family flying in to see you graduate.

Frustrated.

Everyone’s favorite question to ask: “What are you going to do once you graduate?” GEEZ BECKY I DON’T KNOW!

Panic.

When do I cancel my utilities?? Do I change my mailing address?? When do I get rid of my cable box?? Do I sell my bed yet?? How am I going to fit all my clothes into 1 suitcase??

Sad.

Forget what they told you in the past about high school. College is the best 4 (or 3) years of your life. You find your true friends and just the thought of leaving them makes you want to start crying. Instead of Friday-night-wine-and-Netflix it will now be friend dates over Facetime, but at least there will still be wine involved.

Concerned.

Soooo does this mean I need to find an actual 9-5 job?

Excited.

Graduating college is one of the biggest accomplishments and steps in anyone’s life, so you should be proud of yourself for sticking with it until the end. No matter how many times you told yourself you were going to drop out, you made it.

Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.