This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Emergency disasters often scare me. When the “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL” emergency alert text went out that morning, the island of Hawaii was a complete mess.

When phones buzzed from the emergency alert team, “There is no missile threat or danger to the State of Hawaii. Repeat False Alarm,” it opened the eyes of many people. No one was prepared. Coming from a military family from Guam, and as boastful as it sounds, we were one of the few people who were prepared. Sometimes our emergency plan is the talk during dinner time—we’re that kind of family. For those who were in panic, I understand. It’s an extremely sensitive thing to learn about. I care about the well beings of others a lot; in fact, it is part of my major to help others prepare for emergency disasters. Although I am still learning myself, I do want to share some tips with you on how to prepare yourself under five minutes.

1. Prep your “on-the-go” bag.

In my apartment, I have a backpack set up so that in case of a fire or tsunami, I can grab the backpack and rush out. In this backpack, I have my passport, two large water bottles, a battery operated radio, canned food that dates up to 2020, a blanket, extra clothes, batteries, a candle, a lighter, a small flashlight, a small journal and pen, a reflector belt, necessities for my pet cat, a small first-aid kit, side cash, a bar of soap and a toothbrush. You can put anything in this bag, as long as you include items that will help save and last you.

2. Don’t panic.

Just like what everyone says – panicking is the worst thing you can do. Instead, breathe and prepare yourself for this emergency plan. Call your loved ones and let them know what’s going on. If you’re calm, your loved ones will be calm. Be alert to what’s happening by turning on your TV or radio.

3. Seek shelter.

Find the closest “safe-ground” in your city and make it a point to do a test run, testing how will you get there and how long will it take.

4. Know the signs and sirens.

Educate yourself when it comes to emergency preparedness. Living on the island of Hawaii, we’re susceptible to disasters because of the weather conditions and location we’re in. If you don’t know what the signs and “symptoms” are, Google it. If you don’t know what the sirens sound like, Youtube it. Familiarize yourself.

5. Appreciate life more.

It’s kind of a wake-up call, isn’t it? You start reevaluating your life on what you should have done or what you wish you did. Today’s the day you can change that. Appreciate the little things in life and be grateful for what you have and what you’ve accomplished. Literally, “live every day like it’s your last day.” Emergency disasters are not planned.

Guam | Hawaii Pacific University
Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.