Culture > News

Aloha Godiva: All U.S Stores to Close

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

I never thought that a box of truffles and chocolates would forever change my life.

During my sophomore year in college, I used to work in retail at Ala Moana Shopping Center. It was a part-time position I held during the summer, and customers were not always the kindest people. There was one day when the customers were ruthless. I had dealt with a group of racist women because of my Asian heritage, along with some teenage shoplifters. 

However, my mood changed when a kind customer walked into the store, and it turned out the customer worked at the nearby Godiva shop on the third floor. She could tell that I was not having the best day and gave me words of encouragement before she went back to work. The Godiva employee returned before my shift ended and handed me a box of truffles and milk chocolate- covered strawberries. 

I remember how much that touched me and how I struggled to hold back my tears. She was a complete stranger but yet had the compassion to show support to someone she only knew for two minutes. Since that day, I have not seen the employee, but I always think of her kindness whenever I walk past Godiva. 

Perhaps the recent news of Godiva shutting down made me reminisce that day more often. The company announced that it will be closing the remaining 128 store locations in North America. Similar to many other businesses, Godiva was heavily affected by the pandemic. The overall demand for the in-store shopping experience plummeted as predicted. Godiva confirmed the last of its stores will close by the end of March. 

The chocolatier’s sweets will continue to be available in selected retailers and online. Sadly, it will not offer the same special in-store experience with the kindness of its employees. However, purchasing a box of Godiva’s treats for someone, whether they are a stranger or not, can change their day and maybe their life.  

Dori was born and raised here in Honolulu, Hawaii. She is currently a senior majoring in Communications with a minor in writing. Besides writing, she loves blogging/journaling, photography, and boba!