sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Things About Hawaii That Aren’t as Scary as They Seem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

1. Spam

Coming from the mainland, I thought I would NEVER try spam because it was the grossest thing ever. But tbh, if you eat hotdogs, you can eat spam. That first teriyaki spam musubi from the little shop in Chinatown actually changed my life for the better.

2. Hiking

I am totally not a “fitness person,” and hated hiking the first few times I tried it. But, if you look at it as a fun experience or something to do with friends rather than a workout, it’s a little easier to appreciate the beautiful view at the top.

3. Da Kine

Da kine is a pidgin word that basically means whatever you want it to mean. It can take the place of any noun or adjective, or can be used as a placeholder if you can’t remember the word for what you’re trying to say. At first I was so confused and totally intimidated by this, but now I’ve learned to just smile and nod and accept that “da kine” is “da kine,” and that’s all there is to it.

4. The ocean

I’m definitely not an avid surfer or anything, but I can confidently say that my experience with the beach/ocean in Hawaii has significantly reduced my fear of getting eaten by a shark while standing in 3 feet of water on a public beach.

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.