This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

H&M just can’t catch a break. Following their insensitive promotion of a “Coolest Monkey in the Jungle” hoodie on a black child, the clothing company has found themselves in more controversy over the past week. As a part of a new campaign that showcases kids in a relaxed, carefree state, a picture of a young black model was posted to their site. The photoshoot quickly received backlash because many people felt that her hair was unkempt. They argued that similar to the scandal surrounding the hoodie, there were some serious missteps in allowing her to shoot pictures in her hair’s state.

When compared to the other pictures in the campaign, it becomes clear that messy hair was a conscious decision on H&M’s part. However, only she was targeted. It is hypocritical how people allow for kids with looser hair textures to have messy hair, yet when a black girl has a kinkier texture, people shame it.

Some people do not like kinkier hair unless it is gelled down and tamed. Unfortunately, for some longer and straighter hair equals better hair. If the hair is curly, looser and more defined, curls are praised more. It is a flawed mentality that even black mothers subconsciously push onto their daughters. But, this way of thinking must end. People need to get used to seeing black girls’ natural hair texture without a ton of manipulation and recognize that it is still beautiful. Black girls are continuously harmed when black hair is constantly nitpicked and criticized.

As a society, people need to be careful with their words. If every child posed with messy hair, yet we only shame the black girl with kinky hair, it sends a message that tighter curl patterns are undesirable. While it may seem like meaningless commentary on a specific instance, the implications the comments have reinforced outdated beauty standards. Black girls with coarser hair should be allotted the same privilege of having youthful, tousled hair as their peers are without being criticized.

Kyndall Dunn is a senior honors media management major, business administration minor at Howard University from Atlanta, GA. She is a content contributor and topic editor for Her Campus. Instagram: @kyndunn LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyndunn/
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.