This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The tongue is a lot more powerful than we give it credit for. 

“Speaking things into existence” is something I’ve heard throughout my life, but I didn’t exactly take heed to the phrase until last year. At first, when people said that I would scoff at them. How could saying something speak it into existence? When you speak positivity and good things out into the world, positivity and good things will come back to you–the same goes for negative things. Saying certain phrases such as “you make me sick” may bring sickness onto you, but saying things like “I’m always covered and protected” can bring you protection. It sounds cheesy, but it’s true.

All it takes is time, perseverance, and confidence in yourself. Something as simple as saying “I will…” can change your life for the better. Words of affirmations–phrases used to support and uplift oneself or others– are an act of self-love–even if that isn’t your love language. Quality time and physical touch are my love languages, and with the pandemic, I’ve felt isolated since I couldn’t have access to these things. In the new year, I decided to start listening to podcasts about self-love and words of affirmation, and I feel much more energized and happier. 

Just how we tend to put love and care into tangible things like our plants, pets, etc. is how we need to put love into ourselves. “But I don’t have time for all that!” you may say. I tend to do my words of affirmations while doing my skincare routine, but you can easily squeeze in a few minutes of affirmations before dinner or while getting ready for work/school. Here are my favorite affirmations.

• I am the narrator of my own life, and I control what happens.

• I love myself for who I am and what I bring to the table.

• I love myself. 

• I am not in competition with anyone, only who I was yesterday. 

• I am deserving of unconditional love.

Makenna is a writer and a junior journalism major at Howard University. Hailing from small town Arkansas, Underwood has dreams beyond her home. She enjoys writing about fashion, culture, and politics and hopes to pursue it beyond college. Outside of Her Campus, Makenna runs a college blog called Makenna's Meditation and is an editor for The Hilltop--Howard's student newspaper. She hopes to have an impact at Her Campus and can't wait to build the next generation of independent young women.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD