This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Sex trafficking is a real issue in the United States and we have to stop this alarming topic. 

According to the World Population Review, in the United States approximately 199,000 human trafficking events occur every year. This is an eye opener for people who never understood the extreme importance of how often these events happen. California, Michigan, Georgia and Nevada are ranked top 5 U.S. states for highest number of human trafficking cases reported, as of November 7, 2019.

Source

Missing persons have been at an all time high in the news lately, especially for Black women. According to Mayo Clinic, women and children are more prone to being victims of human trafficking and it has become a rising global issue. One useful tip is to take more precautions and be more observant of your environment at all times even when you think you are in a safe area. If you suspect anything out of the ordinary leave the location right away and call authorities. This situation can only get better with the help of everyone.

For information on how to help someone you think is in danger, call the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 1-888-373-7888 or text “BeFree” to 233733.

Kayla Cash

Howard '22

Kayla Cash is a senior at Howard University currently majoring in civil engineering. She is from Jacksonville, Florida. She strives to be valuable in any career field ranging from filmmaking and engineering. Kayla Cash is the epitome of a renaissance woman.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.