This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Dorm shopping? Check. School supplies? On deck. Fits? Purchased. Acne? Wait, slow down. Many students are prepared with the essentials for college, yet they often fail to plan for acne triggered by the change of environment. If you notice that your skin has broken out since arriving on campus, that  is completely normal. Here are five causes of this seemingly spontaneous acne.

1. City Living

Source: Brookings Institution 

If you are going to school in a densely populated urban city, one of the reasons why your skin may be breaking out is because of air pollution. The dirt in the air clogs your pores and causes pimples. To combat this problem, incorporate antioxidizing products like vitamin C into your skincare routine and be sure to cleanse twice daily.

2. Quality of Water

Source: Christian Science Monitor 

In urban cities, your skin is bound to react to the change of  water that you use to cleanse your face. The tap water can cause irritation that leads to breakouts. This can be disheartening since there is no way around using the water, however, toning after cleansing to remove excess dirt and investing in a water filter are solid solutions to help prevent pesky breakouts. 

3. New Climate

Source: Wikipedia 

Your skin may break out as it tries to adjust to the new environment, temperatures and humidity levels. In August, your skin is sweating as you climb the hill to class, which causes more pimples. Be sure to properly cleanse and moisturize your skin. Later in the school year, invest in a heavier moisturizer to combat dryness caused by cold weather.

4. Poor Diet

Source: Laboratory Equipment 

If you are grabbing a pizza every time you use a meal swipe, your skin is more prone to breakouts. Junk food and dairy cause undesirable acne due to an overproduction of oil. Be sure to monitor your food intake, include fruits and vegetables in your meals, and drink water.

5. High Stress Levels

Source: The Conversation 

College and stress are a package deal. When you are stressed, your skin produces more oil which causes acne. Be sure to take a few moments out of each day to relax if you are feeling overworked and try not to let stress keep you up all night. Your skin heals itself overnight, so it is important that you get your beauty rest.

Kyndall Dunn is a senior honors media management major, business administration minor at Howard University from Atlanta, GA. She is a content contributor and topic editor for Her Campus. Instagram: @kyndunn LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyndunn/
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.