This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Source: columbiaspectator.com

Thanksgiving to many people is a time where family from far and near gather around a big table and eat until their heart’s content. I think being abroad has made me cherish this holiday more because it reminds me of everything that I have to be thankful for: family, health, and of course my incredible friends. Last year, my friends and I started having our own Friendsgiving before we all went our separate ways for the holiday and I think it was one of the best ideas we ever had. 

Source: Cheatsheet.com

Coming to college can be hard, especially because you are constantly being surrounded by new people in a new place. If you’re anything like me, you are in a place that is very far away from home, making college even more challenging. Sometimes it can be nice to gather around with people who you care about at school. Not just for a party or a study session, but to simply enjoy each other’s company in a calm setting. This can be a time for lots of laughter, great home cooked (or store bought) food, a movie or two, and of course, going around one by one in a moment of reflection and saying what you’re thankful for.

Source:cheatsheet.com

The stress and fast paced nature of college can cause you to feel worn and alone, which is why it is always a good idea to not only prioritize self-care alone but also with other people. A sort of group care if you will, fellowship among friends is one thing that every college grad cherishes most about their college days. The ease of walking down the hall to bother your favorite floormate, seeing your best friends sitting in the café after class, or the late-night study sessions we love to hate. So, this holiday season before you leave to head back to your “at home” family, I encourage you to take a serious moment and show some appreciation for your “at school” family. They too will not be around every second of every day as graduation sneaks up on you with the passing of every day. Also, I urge you to bear in mind that not everyone has the best home-life to return back to. Thus, having a Friendsgiving could give more to them than you would ever know. 

Source: cheatsheet.com

Friendsgiving does NOT have to be expensive. A simple pizza or instant mac and cheese would do. The real message of a Friendsgiving is being WITH your friends. Remember, although college may be hard, you at least have them to help you through it. 

Alexandria Adigun is a Biology major with a double minor in Chemistry and Psychology who attends Howard University in Washington, D.C. She is originally from Houston,Texas and has enjoyed thechange in scenery that moving to D.C. has allowed her. She also enjoys traveling, yoga, and reading in her spare time. Oh! And of course writing articles that have the opportunity to brighten someone's day.