brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Who to Follow on the HU Twitter Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Aside from the fashion, parties, and illustrious education, the Howard twitter scene is another facet of the amazing Bison culture. Here’s a necessary list of people to follow for creative projects, pawpin’ advice, and straight up Howard shenanigans.

Tweet real sh*t: your daily doses of inspiration

1. @viva_yaya__ (#HU18) & @NiaAmari (#HU19)

For my ladies, Ayana and Nia are always providing words of wisdom. Depending on the day, topics can range from fashion and beauty tips, to spiritual encouragement and top-notch relationship advice.

2. @RussyLVLYSL (#HU18) & @selfmotivated26 (#HU19)

Being a student athlete or multi-faceted creative comes with a lot of challenges, I’m sure, but rather than using those Twitter fingers for complaints, Russell and Dom grace their social platforms with uplifting motivation and statements meant to get us thinking.

3. @iambrandonwatts (#HU19) & @CliftonKinnie (#HU19)

At Howard, a conversation can go from the latest topic in black culture to the current state of government, gentrification or racial tension in America in less than 10 seconds. These two bring the conversation to your timeline with content relatable to that of the black community.

Honorable Mentions: @MrArvinger, @CurlyKeekz , @djnoble13

Howard shenanigans: DJ’s, tea spillers, and class clowns

1. @DJJordanJetson (#HU17), @ThatsDJAtrix (#HU18), @ItsBilly___ (#HU19), @djzeaux (#HU20), @djkiddkam (#HU20)

Following Howard DJ’s are important for a multitude of reasons: they advertise parties/events, they drop incredible Soundcloud mixes and they’re normally pretty entertaining people.

2. @DrZGraham (#HU17) & @tetris_god_ (#HU19)

These wholesome Howard men are full of undeniable personality, and if you don’t get the chance to converse with them in person, you have the opportunity to hear their unique thoughts and opinions via twitter. Whether it’s @‘ing’ those in positions of clout, providing vegan restaurant suggestions, or granting us a list of places to have sex around campus, they’re always here for the culture.

3. @MrChadClarke (#HU17)

Doesn’t matter if it’s in person or on the internet, Chad always has a way of making his fellow Bison laugh. As the 2017 Bison of the Year, he pretty much knows everyone… including ya girl, so keep an eye out.

4. @_simsimmaaa (#HU18) & @SaneitMonae (#HU18)

If you combine both Simone & Saneit’s knowledge of what’s what around campus, you’d probably have a valid and thorough description of all things H-U. Not only do they have interesting lives themselves, these two know everything (or at least it appears that way).

5. @jackiechinchan (#HU19)

Jackie has a way of tweeting the truth—and it somehow just coming out funny. One day she could be throwing shade, the next day advocating for social equality. One of the beauties of her account, you never know what’s coming.

Honorable Mentions: @nicamora, @m4dison, @alexisisbestest

The Creatives:

1. @MikeXAnderson (#HU18), @kikiladon (#HU18), @Tobi_Wan_Knobi (#HU18), @KingRasta__ (#HU19) @dreadheadkali (#HU20)

Catch them on the yard, around the district, or at your favorite day party. These photographers use their cameras as tools of true expression, and do way more creative direction than tapping the circle on the iPhone 7.

2. @RAAZXTWO (#HU18) & @ForTheLoveMalik (#HU18)

Raaziq and Malik are extremely difficult to categorize, because they don’t “fit” into any standard category. Do they provide us with creative art? Yes. Do they provide us with unique knowledge and perspectives? Yes. Do you need to follow them? Yes.

3. @XavierHova (#HU18), @creativelbrtn (#HU20), @writtenbydeni (#HU20)

These prolific creatives compose literary works that explore a wide variety of subjects including hip-hop, content creation, celebrities and the life of a typical college student. Not only do they have admirable followings, but an impressive abundance of published content. Watch them do their magic in 140 characters or less.

4. @juicylorr (#HU18), @workthatcass (#HU19), @KiaraLynne__ (#HU20)

Go on YouTube. Type in Howard University. These ladies are gonna be the first people to come up. More than likely, you were watching them before you came to Howard. That’s enough reason to follow them.

Honorable Mentions: Everyone in SOC/Fine Arts Division with a Twitter #SupportTheArts

Might not follow you back, but you gotta follow them:

1. @almightyambs (#HU18)

Here’s the thing about Ambe. He’s fine, he’s honest, and whether you like it or not his tweets are gonna show up on your timeline, so you might as well just hit that follow button.

2. @AfricanaCarr

Dr. Carr is easily considered one of Howard’s favorite professors, so following his account is a must. Not only can you keep up with his opinions regarding world news, but also slide in those DM’s in the event he still hasn’t uploaded your grade. 3. @troysotrill (#HU19)

He doesn’t have almost 5k followers for just anything. He’s funny, relatable, trying to be his best self, out here respecting woman, and up to date on black culture. What else could one ask for?

Honorable Mentions: @microsoft42, @drinksangrehea, @AdollazZ_

This is just a basic start. The rule of thumb is if HU is in the bio… you gotta follow them back —and while you’re at it… make sure you follow @HerCampusHoward (and me @ayeitsimani!)

Though born and raised on the outskirts of Atlanta, Imani Sanders is currently rooted in Washington, D.C. where she studies Media, TV, & Film Production at Howard University. As a senior, she's managed to share her various talents through a wide variety of outlets from dance teams and media companies to different podcasts and blogs. Aside from relentlessly striving for perfection, you can catch her writing for her blog Between the Sheets, filming documentary projects, listening to Views or simply socializing on the yard.