matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What You Can Do in the Fight for Gun Reform

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

27 lives lost. Countless lives impacted forever. Last weekend on August 3 and 4, two back-to-back mass shootings took place in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, respectively. It has become clear to us that “thoughts and prayers” are no longer enough, taking into consideration the 250+ mass shootings alone in 2019. By the time this article is published, the number may rise.

You tweeted about it. You discussed with your family in frustration. Now, you are left wondering how you can directly contribute to reformation. The task is, by no means, an easy one, considering the immense amount of mass shootings that were unable to spark major change, including the Parkland and Sandy Hook shootings that involved children. The cycle has become continuous: a shooting occurs, we grieve, politicians make empty promises for reform, we move on, repeat. Before joining the cause, it is important to understand what gun reform advocates are up against.

Over the past few years, politicians have debated gun control, staged sit-ins and proposed numerous bills for gun reform. Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has advocated for gun rights since the 1970s. The NRA’s influence over Congress through lobbyists and allies has effectively pushed non-restrictive gun laws that have fueled modern-day gun violence. However, gun control groups are actively combating the NRA and balancing out the playing field. Here’s how you can join their efforts:

Donate and join gun control organizations.

When people join together to support a movement, their efforts are substantially more impactful. You can donate and sign up for organizations like the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and Women Against Gun Violence that advocate and create plans for gun reform.

Research politicians.

Know where your representatives stand on gun control issues and view their voting histories by using tools like OnTheIssues and Congress.gov.

Vote. Vote. Vote.

Vote on the local, state and national level. As a college student, you may need to cast an absentee ballot. Read more about absentee voting for your specific state here.

Contact your officials.

Your politicians need to hear your voice. Use websites like https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials and tools like Resistbot, which guides you through composing and addressing a letter through text in minutes, to reach your officials.

Protest.

There have been a number of gun control protests throughout America, including the March for Our Lives and the National School Walkout. Protests disrupt everyday life and force people to pay attention. The atmosphere at protests is invigorating and inspiring. When you see an opportunity to rally together, take it.

Do not lose hope.

With every mass shooting, it becomes easier to lose hope and accept reality. Picture those that have lost their lives due to gun violence and remember them. Their lives should not be lost in vain. Continue fighting because the issue is not going anywhere, and more lives will be lost if we accept defeat.

Kyndall Dunn is a senior honors media management major, business administration minor at Howard University from Atlanta, GA. She is a content contributor and topic editor for Her Campus. Instagram: @kyndunn LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyndunn/
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.