sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Do Around HU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

When most people hear about the nation’s capital they think of the White House and politics, but there is a lot more to D.C. than politics. Washington D.C. has so much history, culture and activities to offer its residents, and since you’ll be living here for a while, why not make yourself at home?

Museums

If you need a break from the parties or if you’re interested in a new way to spend time off-campus, look no further than your new backyard. The nation’s capital has museums that cater to people of various backgrounds and ages. If you’re into history and don’t mind a lesson outside the classroom, you can visit the National Air & Space Museum, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, or the National Museum of Natural History. If you’re into the arts I would recommend the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the National Gallery of Art, the National Museum of African Art and the Freer Gallery of Art.

More info: https://washington.org/smithsonian-institution-museums

National Harbor

The National Harbor is a great place to get away with your girls or your bae during the weekend. Take a break from the books and indulge in some retail therapy at the Tanger Outlets, see a movie shown on the big screen, or reach new heights on the Ferris wheel.

More info: www.nationalharbor.com

Gallery Place

If you need a last minute outfit, want to treat yourself to some good eats, or if you want to catch the premiere of The Black Panther, Gallery Place has got you covered. Roughly 15 minutes from Howard (even shorter if you take the train), Gallery Place has an Urban Outfitters, H&M, Gap, and a Forever 21 just in case you want to make a quick clothing run or want to go on an all-out spree. Are you (no pun intended) sick of the caf? Gallery Place houses restaurants such as Nando’s, Rosa Mexicano, and Shake Shack, that will guarantee a satisfied stomach.

National Mall

Not too far from Gallery Place is the National Mall. With so many sites to see and things to do it’s nearly impossible for you to be bored or have nothing to do while you’re there. The National Mall is home to many Smithsonian Museums including the latest edition, the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Whenever you get hungry and need a break from museum hopping, the National Mall has food trucks around to satisfy your cravings. The Mall is also home to infamous monuments like the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument as well as the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. 

More info: www.nps.gov/nacc

Carry Out

Carry outs are an essential part of DMV culture just like go-go music.  Carry outs are restaurants that typically serve Chinese cuisine as well as American classics, including the notorious combination of chicken wings, French fries and mumbo sauce. Located on almost every corner of DC (the less gentrified parts, that is) carry outs are quick, cheap alternatives to dining in the caf and will definitely satiate your taste buds.

Where to go: Dandy’s, Eddie Leonard, Yum’s Carryout

Brunch

What if I told you that Washington D.C. is not only the nation’s capital, but the nation’s brunch capital as well? Brunch, a mixture of the words breakfast and lunch, is a great way to start your weekend, especially when accompanied by a group of friends. Think of a restaurant serving an extended breakfast filled with families, friends, and other parties, talking, laughing and enjoying the atmosphere while indulging in a plate chicken and waffles and bottomless mimosas. Brunch tends to be from 11am to 1pm during the weekends and is offered by many restaurants not too far from Howard such as Nellies on U Street and Marvin’s. If you haven’t had the chance to go to brunch before, set your alarms because you’re not going to want to miss brunch in D.C.

Where to go: Mulebone, Marvin’s, Nellies, Ben’s Next Door

Amara Onuigbo is currently a sophomore supply chain management major at Howard University from Atlanta, Georgia. She is a lover of music, art, fashion and an avid foodie. Her love of art and fashion caused her to launch a successful online clothing store, Custom Vintage Clothes, when she was in eighth grade and aspires to own another business on a larger scale when she graduates. When she's not stressing over schoolwork you can find her catching up on her favorite shows on Netflix. You can follow her on Instagram @venusflytrxp