This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s no surprise that Disney has been a powerhouse in the Entertainment industry since it first released Snow White back in 1937. Now, with billion dollar franchises such as Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel Studios, and National Geographic on top of its own original content, it’s almost impossible not to interact with their brand. Disney’s massive media takeover will become even easier this fall when all of their current content and more will make its way to Disney+.

From the day the company first announced its independent streaming service back in 2017 to just two months until the launch of Disney+, here’s what this platform will mean for Disney and the future of entertainment. 

Legal Matters

Currently, Disney movies are available for streaming on a variety of different platforms with one of them being its new primary competitor: Netflix. Back in 2012, the two companies devised a deal where Netflix would be the first platform to stream Disney movies after their theatrical release. After the Disney+ announcement, Bob Iger, current CEO of the Walt Disney Company, mentioned that they would not be renewing the deal with the streaming service. 

Despite this, Disney still has to wait for the conditions of their previously-made deals to expire before taking back all of its original content. According to some sources, this mainly affects titles released from 2016 to 2018. Essentially, even though Disney+ is supposed to be the exclusive house for Disney content, they still have to fulfill previously made contractual obligations. In addition, as more information is released surrounding Spider-Man and the Disney/Sony legal agreements, this will additionally affect the content on the service. 

There is also a question of where the newly acquired 21st Century Fox property will be housed. Disney has made it clear that the new service will be composed of family friendly media meaning: no mature content. While Disney itself does not produce content of this nature, some of its subsidiaries do. Industry professionals are saying that much of this content will be streaming on Hulu, which Disney has a major stake in. This choice begs the question: will Disney+ ever truly be an exclusive platform for all things Disney?

The Entertainment

Disney owns a lot of IP, or intellectual property, and that is its main strength as a brand. With a mission to provide family friendly entertainment for people of all ages, it has been churning out movies and television shows for years. By housing several large franchises and producing content through its own studios, there will not be a shortage of things to watch, especially for avid fans. Those who have been waiting for their childhood favorites and Disney Channel originals to all be in one binge-able location will finally be fulfilled.  

On top of this, at D23, Disney’s annual convention, Marvel Studios announced more stories from its cinematic universe that it intends to extend to the silver screen and so did LucasFilms. Disney will also release new shows attached to former projects such as High School Musical (check out the trailer here) and the Lizzie McGuire show. The Lady and the Tramp and the Sword and the Stone are also both expected to have live-action film remakes released only on the site instead of theatrically. 

Even with the benefits of Disney’s deep vat of content, there are drawbacks as well. Unless consumers have a direct wish to see solely Disney material, there is no incentive to pay for the service. The company is still catering to a niche market despite the big brands that they house. Viewers who prefer edgier or more diverse content will have to continue outsourcing their entertainment. 

What does it all mean?

Disney, being the largest of the Big Six studios, undoubtedly makes a statement with every business decision they make. Independent studios and storytellers operate in their shadow trying to push their content out into the world. The company has come under a lot of scrutiny in past years for its rehashing of old stories and lack of diversity. As this platform makes its way into the world, the industry must observe if and how it changes the viewing habits of millions of people.  

Disney+’s upcoming release is just the beginning of a wave of new streaming services. With well established companies such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu already saturating the market, new entrants will need to provide something new to entice consumers to pay for yet another subscription.  

Having the reputation of a family friendly brand with some of the most globally recognized properties will certainly help the company, but will it be able to defeat its competition? 

Ally Stonum

Howard '22

Ally is a sophomore Marketing major at Howard University from Washington, D.C. She loves comics, tea, poetry, and writing about the things she is passionate about.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.