This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s about that time of year where every four years the country gears up for the presidential election. This year’s election season has undeniably been a tense one, so it’s important that we as citizens are up to date on what is going on with the election. One of our greatest rights is the right to vote. Voting allows us to voice our opinion on what changes should be made  in the nation and who should lead these changes. Here are a few things to keep in mind this coming November as we choose the next president.

1. Register, register, register!

This is step number one and the most important step if you want to exercise your right. Without registering, you won’t be able to have a say in who leads the country for the next four years. Usually when getting your driver’s license they require that you register to vote, however if this isn’t the case for you, there are other options. Voter registration events happen often around campus and the city, you can also register at the DMV.

1. Fill Out An Absentee Ballot

Whether your home is a couple of hours from campus or on the other side of the world, it’s beneficial to fill out an absentee ballot. Absentee ballots allow you to vote according to your hometown district while being in a different area. Being in college, there will most likely be other students filling out absentee ballots as well. Pay attention to the next time your school sponsors an absentee ballot drive and fill it out as soon as possible.

1. Research the Candidates.

Lastly, after filling out the needed paperwork, you should become familiar with the candidates that are running in the upcoming presidential election. You can receive a voter guide with information on the positions of your party’s candidates in the mail or do your research by watching the debates. Regardless of how you choose to receive your information, make sure you get your information from a reliable source.

Voting is a vital right in our nation, and it is one that should be exercised often. This year is especially significant given the country’s political climate. Right now is as good of a time as ever to voice how you feel about what is happening in our society and who you believe is best fit to improve the state of our nation. The future is up to you, and voting takes us one step closer to the future you wish to see.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.