Top 5 Reasons Why You Need to be on LinkedIn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

I used to think that Linkedin was an old people site. Both of my parents are on Linkedin and whenever they would talk about Linkedin and their colleagues, I would always think how I didn’t have to worry about having that website, but I do now, and you should too.

Linkedin can help you build your professional network

It’s never too early to build your network and Linkedin is the perfect place to start. You can start about linking and connecting with the students who are in your major. The people who you are going to school with are the people who you will most likely be working with in the future, so it’s important to secure these connections now rather than later.

You can extend your resume

Employers don’t like reviewing resumes that are more than one page, and more often than not, if your resume is long, they won’t even take the time to look at it! Linkedin provides you with the opportunity to go on and on about the things that you have accomplished that you weren’t able to fit on a one page resume. Linkedin also allows you the chance to go more in depth about your work experience and to provide more information.

Search for internships

There are so many internship sites: Indeed.com, Internships.com, FastWebs.com, and many more, but Linkedin by far is my favorite site for searching. I found so many opportunities on Linkedin easily! It also shows you the internships that are compatible with the profile that you have provided, and it offers ways to help you become more competitive for the position.

It helps you prepare for interviews

If you have an interview for an internship or a job, and you have no idea about what you’re going to say, you can review the profile of the person who’s going to be interviewing you. By having this basic background knowledge, you will for sure impress your interviewer!

You can research a company

LInkedin provides a plethora of information on companies, so you can decide whether or not you want to work with them. It shows the current job openings and the people in your network who work for that company.

Linkedin has helped me so much professionally, and I would recommend that as a college student, it is so important to have! It does not take time to set up your initial site, so I would do so as soon possible!

Chisom Okoye is a sophomore Film/TV major, playwright and sociology double minor from Las Vegas, NV. Writing has always been her greatest love, because it allows her to express herself in ways that spoken words can't. The ability to pick up any pencil, broken and charred or shiny and new, and just simply create is gratifying. Her writing interests range from pieces about self love and the art of positivity to book reviews and fiction pieces to controversial topics to even screenplays. When she's not immersed in her world of writing, Chisom enjoys art museums, theatre, as well as musical theatre, and you can always find her listening to her favorite musicians, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, and Stevie Wonder.