Things to Do On Valentine’s Day/Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Valentine’s Day… February 14th. A day that we all used to love in Elementary School; where we were all each other’s Valentine’s, got some candies and kisses from grandmother, and a hug from Ms. Johnson. But of course, puberty had to ruin something else for us by 6th grade and things got real and some of us found ourselves going crazy over a Valentine, no matter how ugly they were… or we were.

Today, I find myself being 19 years old and still single on Valentine’s Day with no significant other and the only edible arrangement I might see is from my mom. Of course, it’s a little upsetting but I’m actually excited to see what the day will bring. I have found myself pushing to be gutsier and enjoying the love of myself and the energy of others which leads to introducing my 2018 Valentines plan:  My best friend and I are going to get dressed up for ourselves, eat Chipotle, drink some …. quality grape juice, and watch 50 Shades Freed. I’m excited and not because this could be a passive way of me saying ‘PLEASE I NEED A VALENTINE’ but because I will finally be happy with someone that cares about me. I think that is what we should all strive for when thinking of February 14th, being happy, fulfilled, and blessed because that sounds like love to me.  

Here are 20 different Valentine’s Day plans that could be done alone, with a friend,

or with your side piece because your main one is working all night until the 15th:

1. Go out with other singles

2. Go on an adventure with your best friend  

3. Cook dinner or have a potluck with your friends

4. Get a tattoo! (Nothing crazy or petty though!)  

5. Do something with that person in your Instagram or Tinder DMs… that you know but don’t want anything serious with. (They could be a lot more fun than you think.)

6. Ask your parents to send you a care package.  

7. Go to Walmart and pick up a couple of $5 movies and go nuts with snacks. Call some of your friends and take over a lounge.  

8. Try a new restaurant that you always said looked bad. (It could turn that frown upside down)  

9. Have a cheat day! (Nobody has to know)  

10. Treat yourself to a makeover.  

11. Support a black business (We are in D.C. ‘DUH’)  

12. Go to a Paint and Sip  

13. Go to a Dance/Pole Dancing Class! (Even if you don’t have any rhythm)    

14. GO ON GROUPON! (You will thank me later)  

15. Go to a Cooking class.  

16. Host a Game Night in a lounge.  

17. Try going to a Speed Dating event with a friend.  

18. Go to a party!  

19. Find something fun to make on Pinterest.  

20. PERFORM RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS ALL DAY!

21. Watch The Office (but this is just my bonus idea)

These might be the most basic things to do but I’m sure it’s better than wallowing inside of your dorm. All I ask is that you give it a try just to get through the day as best as you can. If you ever feel like you can’t make it please call someone, ANYONE but not your ex. DO NOT do anything that will put you in your ‘bag’, NO H.E.R., Bryson Tiller, or Drake. DO NOT watch any cheesy movies that will make you cry or think about sending that long paragraph text you wish you sent when things initially ended. AND DO NOT text in your group chat telling your friends that you regret breaking up with your ex… because you knew what you were doing and if you ex calls you, don’t answer, call them on the 15th and see if they have that same energy. But I am just here to say that as a fellow single, we are going to be okay. Male or female we are going to make it to the 15th to see the same lovers be lovers, the same cheaters be cheaters, and everyone else in between. AND If You Are Really Feeling Down PLEASE CALL 1-800-273-8255, The Suicide Prevention Hotline

Lead Image: Peathegee/ Getty Images

Avery Taylor is a sophomore Elementary Education major and Afro American Studies minor from Long Island, NY. She has always had a strong passion for helping children and giving back to her community. Avery has been dancing and writing poetry all her life and feels like working with Her Campus is the next way for her to use her creativity to give back! Avery been published in 4 literary magazines in her hometown but continues to write on her own free time as she continues her education at Howard University. She plans on going to South Africa in the winter of 2017 with YAALI to do research their in education systems in comparison to what we have in the states. Avery just wants to continue to be the best example for all young woman around her but especially African American women! Her daily mantra is "strive to inspire before you expire" just to remind her of her purpose in society.