The Relaxer Box Girls: Where Have They Been

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

By: Camiryn Stepteau

For many growing up, the little black girls found on popular relaxer boxes were aspirational. The silky and chic hairstyles sported by the young girls were enviable, and served as a point of reference for those young black girls seeking straight locks of hair. Although numerous black women have decided to cut ties with their past of chemically altering their hair texture and begin their natural hair journey. The relaxer boxes remain a symbol of nostalgia and history for the black community. 

The little black girls that once appeared on the relaxer boxes aren’t so little anymore. A Twitter user sparked this conversation after sharing her admiration of the young models. Other Twitter users chimed in with their thoughts as well. 

This thread inspired another Twitter user, @AshTheDonLeon, to take to the popular social media app. She quote tweeted, “Where are these girls today? Show yourselves.”

As requested, the infamous relaxer box girls revealed themselves what they look like now.

As more of the previous cover girls started to roll in with their transformations viewers began to notice that a majority were now rocking their natural hair textures.

Despite the hair products advertised being chemical treatments meant to straighten naturally textured hair, multiple previous models came forward stating that the silky straight strands seen by consumers were not the product of a relaxer. Instead, the women claimed that their hair was simply pressed for the photos. 

The resurfacing of the iconic relaxer box girls resonated with Twitter users and many expressed their admiration of the thread.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/