Ten Things You Might Not Have Known About Howard University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s first semester! A few of us are getting used to new people and surroundings, a few others are getting back into the groove of college life and a few others are  preparing to possibly graduate.  Whether we are a Freshman or a Senior, there are many of us who haven’t had the time or inclination to pay attention to the campus around us, if it doesn’t directly deal with the course load that we are currently taking.  Below, you will find a short list of things you might not have known about Howard University.  We encourage you to go out and explore your campus.  We’re sure there are things even we haven’t found yet!

1.    There is a student lounge and a library located in the School of Business.
2.    There is an exhibit in the Health Sciences Library called, “Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance, Science, Magic, and Medicine.
3.    There is a tunnel that connects the Fine Arts Building to Cramton Auditorium.
4.    Multiple professors on campus have received fame in their own right.  (Yes, outside of being Howard professors!!)  One such professor is Spanish Professor Verny Varela, whose album “Amar de Nuevo,” was in the Latin Grammy list in 2004.
5.    There are three computer labs on campus located in Blackburn, Founder’s, and the ILAB.
6.    There is a fine dining restaurant in Blackburn.
7.    There is a gallery in the Fine Arts Building.
8.    There is a  hstorical house behind  the Administration  Building.
9.    There is a Greenhouse located on top of the Biology Building.
10.   You can go to the top of Founder’s Library.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!