Wellness

Surviving 2020: How to Remain Sane In the midst of the Chaos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a series of traumatic events, an emotional rollercoaster to say the very least. Allow me to provide you with a recap of some of the major events that have happened so far. In January: Kobe Bryant along with his daughter Gianna and a few other colleagues pass away in a tragic plane crash. In February, Amaud Arbury a 25-year old black man is chased down a neighborhood in Georgia and fatally shot by armed white men. In March, the World Health Organization declares the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, then later that month Donald Trump declares it a national emergency. On March 13th, Breonna Taylor was shot and killed by police in Louisville while sleeping in her own home. In April, the number of coronavirus cases worldwide passed 1 million and over 6.6 million people filed for unemployment in the US. The US was also the first country to report 2000 coronavirus deaths in a single day and later that month, the US passed 1,000,000 total coronavirus cases as the worldwide total passed 3,000,000. In May, the video of the murder of Ahmaud Arbery was leaked sparking protests against police brutality. Then later that same month George Floyd is killed by an officer in Minneapolis, sparking even more outrage and protests over the treatment Black people receive in America.The month of June was filled with even more turmoil and social unrest regarding the Black Lives Matter Movement. Unfortunately, police brutality incidents persisted in the midst of the protests in addition to other racially charged incidents being brought to light. This global unrest persisted into July as well. And finally, to top it off, it is currently  August and not only is the south being hit by 2 hurricanes at the same time, but our one and only Chadwick Boseman, popularly known as the Black Panther, passed away on August 28th after battling colon cancer for 4 years. When will we catch a break?

During times like this, it is important to prioritize taking care of your mental health for the sake of your emotional stability. I have compiled a list of 10 ways to help you maintain your sanity in the midst of the chaos.

1. Stay off the socials!

Take a break from social media and reading the news. Oftentimes, the news can be very depressing and as a result, can influence our state of mind whether we realize it or not. 

1. Recenter yourself.

This goes hand in hand with disconnecting from social media. Spend some time alone with your thoughts for a few minutes a day. Whether it be meditating for a few minutes right when you wake up / before you fall asleep, or even while in the shower, spend some time alone to process your thoughts without distractions

1. Practice Gratitude

During times like these, It’s so easy to focus on everything that is currently wrong with the world, the negatives, that we forget to be grateful. To help with this I want you to try this: get yourself a journal and every morning as soon as you wake up, write down something that you are grateful for. I personally enjoy this activity because whenever I find myself thinking negatively about something throughout the day, I’ll remember what I said I was grateful for that morning and my outlook on the situation will completely flip. 

1. Talk to Someone.

Whether it be a family member or friend that you trust, if you are someone who needs to tell someone your thoughts and feelings to let them out, please do so! Get the support you need!

1. Do something that makes you happy!

This may seem pretty obvious, but it’s easy to get so caught up in school and work that we forget to make time for things that make us happy. Start prioritizing your happiness! If there’s anything I’ve learned this year, it’s that anything can be taken from you in a heartbeat, so always make the most out of your life. 

1. Get Active!

Go outside! Get active! Working out not only helps keep the bod in shape, but also helps to reduce stress and anxiety. When you workout, your body releases dopamine which is the neurotransmitter in our nervous system responsible for pleasure and happiness. 

1. Three words: SELF. CARE. DAY.

Since you can’t go to the spa because of Covid, bring the spa to you! Take a bubble bath, do hair and face masks, pain your nails… do all of it! After these few months, you deserve it.

1. Build a solid routine!

Creating daily routines for yourself for example morning and night ones will help to create some normalcy in your life so you don’t go completely insane. 

1. Get creative!

Draw, make a new music playlist, write a poem, choreograph a dance…etc. Try channeling those feelings of stress and anxiety into something creative! Painting has quickly become one of my favorite activities to pass the time this quarantine and definitely provides a creative outlet for me to express what I’ve been feeling.  

1. Let it all out! All of it. 

Please, even if you choose not to take any of my tips, at least remember this. It’s okay to feel sad. It’s okay to grieve. Don’t keep those feelings inside because it will only make things worse. Allow yourself the time to feel what you are feeling and heal from it. It’ll do you so much more good. Things will likely get a lot worse before they get better so hang in there and stay strong.

Nia Parks

Howard '23

Nia Parks is a Sophomore, Sports Medicine Major, Chemistry minor from sunny southern California. If not studying for her upcoming exams, one may find her filming videos for her youtube channel (Subscribe @Nia Parks!), hanging out at the beach with her friends and family, or outside doing something to keep her active! She has a passion for all things beauty and fashion as well as health and fitness related and aspires to build a career that encompasses all of her interests. Follow her life! Instagram: @niaparx Youtube: Nia Parks
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD