This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Summer is coming to a close and tides of students and families are making their way into Targets everywhere to prepare for the upcoming semesters — it’s time to go back to school. After spending hot days outside of  the classroom, making the mental transition from summer fun to school grind can be overwhelming.

If you want to start your year off to a great start both in and out of the classroom, here are some suggestions: 

1. Separate your work and relaxation areas

It’s important to make sure to let work and play have distinct places. It may seem tempting to do your homework in your bed, especially when you invest in some amazing pillows, but keeping the two apart is crucial. 

When you bring work into a place that you should be using to wind down, you bring the anxiety and the weight it carries with you. Instead of stressing out about a paper and subsequently not being able to fall asleep after working on it in your bed all night, a change in physical location can help you unwind. 

In addition, by choosing other places to study such as a computer lab or a library, you can surround yourself with others with like minded goals. You can even make some friends while you’re at it!

2. Scheduling for yourself

Keeping a rigid schedule is hard, especially when plans change on a whim. That’s why creating and protecting time for yourself is one of the most difficult tasks in college. 

Giving your brain time to recuperate after a long day is actually good for your health. Self care does not have to be expensive or lavish, but it has to be deliberate . Even taking fifteen minutes out of each day to do a simple task like listening to music, working out, watching one of your favorite shows or movies can be considered care when they serve as a break from hard work.  

Making sure to guard your own time can be difficult with demanding responsibilities, but ultimately clearing your head will contribute positively to your performance. 

3. Create a vision

A lot of people go into college hoping to find themselves. Creating a vision can help guide you towards the goals you want to achieve not only on campus, but in life. This can manifest itself in different ways for different people. For some, a mantra or quote to live by can focus them. For others, careful and strategic planning is more motivational. 

Whether your vision rests in a Pinterest board or Post-It notes, reflect actively on it throughout your time in  school. If you find that you are not as inspired as you previously were or that you want to change direction, update as you go. Progress is not linear, and editing your visions and goals as you move through your academic and professional careers encourages self-reflection and fosters a better sense of self. 

Jumping from the beach back to books can be a little disappointing and even daunting. Remembering to take care of yourself above all else can ensure that you tackle the year with your best foot forward. Good luck! 

Ally Stonum

Howard '22

Ally is a sophomore Marketing major at Howard University from Washington, D.C. She loves comics, tea, poetry, and writing about the things she is passionate about.