Stepping out of seasonal depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As spring approaches with warm weather and fresh opportunities, how will you take advantage of this time of year? 

The winter season may have had you in your feelings and set you back on achieving  some of your New Year’s resolutions, but it is not too late to get back on track. Seasonal depression is a type of depression that is affected by the change in seasons. When days start to get cold, gloomy and darker earlier, your mood can be impacted. It tends to go away when warmer weather comes around. Seasonal depression can get the best of all of us, but not forever. 

It is best to reevaluate the goals you have set and check in on your progress. If you are not where you want to be, recognize that and make a plan to do better. Do not beat yourself up over it. 

It is common to face challenges that make you lose focus, but it is about how you overcome those challenges that matter the most. Your mental health is important. If your mind is not centered, other areas in your life will most likely be unaligned as well. Meditating is a great way to align your thoughts by taking a moment to relax. Journals and planners help hold you accountable when setting goals.

Staying motivated is the key to achieving your goals and the warm weather will make it a lot easier to do so. The sun helps give your body vitamin D which can lead to an increase in your mood. With only two months left of the spring semester, there is no better time than now to take charge of your life and go after what you want. This can be reflected by staying on top of your grades and pushing through your midterms, or securing the internship you want for the summer. Going after what you want in your personal life is just as important, whether that be fitness or taking on a new hobby you never pushed yourself to try. Dwelling on the past will only distract you from your goals. Ultimately, the only person standing in your way is yourself. 

Kendall Lanier is a Freshman broadcast journalism major from Kansas City, MO.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.