This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Halloween is fast approaching! And what’s better than ordering in, watching a spooky movie, and wearing comfy clothes on a chilly Saturday night? With new horror films on the way and nostalgic Halloween movies being replayed on your favorite channels, it’s most certainly everyone’s favorite time of year. Here’s a guide to 3 new movies you should check out to get your spook on and 3 older Halloween movies you can reminisce and enjoy too.

NEW:

IT CHAPTER  2- Release: September 6, 2019

This is for sure a must-see! If you’re a fan of the Stephen King books, then this one is for you. All three hours of it.

Source: slashfilm.com

JOKER- release: October 4, 2019

A work of art? Possibly. This controversial film won Best Film at the Venice Film festival. So, it’s definitely worth a watch…or two.

Source: variety.com

COUNTDOWN- release: October 25,2019

If you’re anything like me then you use an app to basically track every part of your life. When you get up when you need to call your dentist, or even to track your flow but GET THIS. What if there’s an app that tells you when you’re going to die? Creepy right… 

Source: girlfriend.com

Now that we know the best new blockbusters that are sure to get us in the Halloween Spirit, let’s take a trip down memory lane to the best Halloween films around from when we were kids!

OLD:

TWITCHES- release: October 2005

Tia and Tamera really stole the show with this one! Two unforgettable hours of spells, treachery, danger, and of course sisterly love. If you’re really feeling nostalgic I also recommend watching the sequel… Twitches Too!

Source: rottentomatoes.com

HALLOWEENTOWN- release: October 1998

A teenage angsty witch? With a wicked cool witch grandma? Say less. In my personal opinion, this is the best Halloween trilogy ever! Stay on the lookout for a binge-worthy night of these films on Disney soon.

Source: insider.com

HOCUS POCUS- release: July 1993

A free coven of evil sister witches is sure to get you in the holiday spirit! With a group of determined kids and cat of course, on a mission to stop their ploy to immortality, this film is oozing with Halloween spirit!

Source: mentalfloss.com

I hope as the pumpkin and candy corn season commences that you all take a moment or two to relish in the greatest thing about this season…the movies! And if you don’t know where to start, old or new, maybe this guide can help you!

Alexandria Adigun is a Biology major with a double minor in Chemistry and Psychology who attends Howard University in Washington, D.C. She is originally from Houston,Texas and has enjoyed thechange in scenery that moving to D.C. has allowed her. She also enjoys traveling, yoga, and reading in her spare time. Oh! And of course writing articles that have the opportunity to brighten someone's day.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.