Wellness

The Spookiest of Them All: Tips on Combating Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Many people are battling a different monster this Spooky Season, and it goes by the name of burnout.

Burnout is described as a state in which one feels extreme physical, emotional and mental stress. This can lead one to feel as though they have nothing left to give, causing a reduction in productivity and energy. Other symptoms include a desire to isolate oneself from friends, a cynical attitude towards life, and a change in sleep patterns.

The fact of the matter is, balancing school, work and a social life, all while trying to stay safe from the grips of COVID-19, is not easy.

And these trying times have certainly taken a toll on the mental health of many people.

If any of this sounds all too familiar, here are a few tips on how to defeat this sinister beast.

1. Take a break.

If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed or flustered, step away from your work for a brief period of time. Take a deep breath. Go for a walk. Medidate for a few minutes. You have been working hard, and you are deserving of some “me-time”. That work is not going anywhere.

1. Stay off of social media.

Although social media often serves as a form of escapism from extreme stress, this is not always healthy. Even as you scroll down your feed, emails and Blackboard or Canvas notifications can still pop up. Find something more fulfilling to do in your downtime.

1. Connect with those that you love.

Sometimes, it works wonders to reach out to and confide in those that we love and trust. Taking the time to talk to your loved ones can allow you to both work through whatever has you burnt out, and strengthen your relationships.

1. Do not take on more than you can handle.

Nowadays, there is a huge emphasis on “hustle culture”, causing some to feel as though they must take on multiple tasks in order to be successful. While that might work for some people, that does not mean it will work for you. If you feel as though the addition of another task would be too much, listen to your instincts. 

In addition to these four tips, you can always reach out to a professional to get a true understanding of what you are feeling.

Whatever you do, know that if you can get through this, Freddy Kreuger and Jason Vorhees will have their work cut out for them!

Cory Utsey

Howard '23

Cory Utsey is a writer and blogger studying journalism at Howard University. Her interests include mainstream media, culture and social justice. Through her writing, she hopes to promote racial equity, wellness and intersectionality.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD