This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Simone Thompson, commonly known as Slick Woods, is an American fashion model who has appeared for runway shows for Fendi, Marc Jacobs, Yeezy, Fenty x Puma and is currently the face of Rihanna’s makeup brand Fenty Beauty. Last week, during Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty NYFW show, Woods was in labor while modeling during the show. She is blowing up on the internet due to modeling for Rih to birthing a baby boy. However, people on social media have resorted to ridiculing her looks.

Source: Twitter

People are brainwashed into believing there is only one standard of beauty. There is a need for diversity in the fashion industry and dismantling society’s Eurcoentric beauty standards. Slick Woods does exactly that in the Modeling world by showing that you do not have to be conventionally beautiful or have traditionally attractive features. Owning her bald head and gapped teeth, she continues to empower others in her confidence.

Source: Pinterest

Slick Woods’ story to becoming a successful model in the industry is truly moving. She was homeless, suffered substance abuse, her mother was in prison, and witnessed her brother being killed in front of her. She consistently rises above social norms. “Beauty is confidence. You could be the ugliest b*tch in the world — if you’re confident though, you own it” – Slick Woods

Hello, my name is Jaclyn Lafayette Batts. I am a senior Biology major Chemistry minor from Northern Virginia. I enjoy  creating articles to enlighten and empower the Black community. I aim towards acting as a conduit of communication to my community through my articles.