This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

By: Amya Henry

Slides have become an essential part of the college experience. Running late to class? Slap on your slides. Standing in long lines? Slides will suffice. Don’t want to compromise comfort for cuteness? Slides are always your guy. The fact of the matter is that slides are a year round tool that only changes in style and brand rather than prevalence. The Bison of Howard University tend to have a loosely followed cycle of various slides as the weather changes. This Seasonal Slide Guide will pinpoint each of those seasons and highlight the factors that make them the perfect footwear for that time.

There are six different brands of slides that I have observed throughout campus. Yeezy slides, Crocs, Golf Ball Slides, Ugg Slides, Birkenstocks (open and closed toed) and  Tory Burch sandals take those spots. Starting with the most obvious season of slide usage, Summer and Spring, one can expect staples like Yeezy Slides Birkenstocks and Tory Burch Sandals. The sun is shining, the wind is warm and each little piggy is eager to bask in all of it. 

The Crocs are ready for any adventure with a handy dandy sports mode available at the flip of a strap. The abundant holes throughout the shoe give ample ventilation for the hot weather. The various colors and patterns available from this shoe add to the fun and exciting energy of the season which makes the most perfect and popular shoe choice of this time. 

The Yeezy slides are popular for all the same reasons but provide an entirely new vibe. The general design of the shoe allows a fresh set while still providing a neutral street look to any outfit. Yeezy’s present a new flavor and drip to the effortless slide wearing practicality. 

Birkenstocks provide similar functions in comfort but in the manner of an earthy twang. They mold directly to your feet and can be worn at the beach and not even look dirty. Birkenstocks grow better with time. Them becoming weathered out only adds to the rustic look and feel of each sandal. 

Lastly, Tory Burch Sandals come in the slide game in warmer seasons the same way the Rich Auntie comes to any family gathering during that time as well; only on special occasions and always elevated. Tory Burch Sandals are the perfect slides to transition any Spaghetti strap Skims dress into a night on the town dinner outfit. This is why their presence directly coincides with the sundress season. These slides could arguably be deemed as summer job acceptable depending on the place and outfit paired with it. Tory Burch Sandals simply act as the elevator for every summer look.

Fall is the transitional season for these slides. As students are heading back to school, each of these slides can be viewed from the fast paced feet bustling across campus. There is a point in October when the cold weather is delivering inconsistent blows of cold air that calls for extra layering and protection. The trendy new  Golf Ball Slides, although still open in the back, provide a closed toe experience that can produce comfort during these times of weather inconsistencies. A sock or two takes care of the chili air on Monday but the slide aspect without socks accommodates the sunny 72 degrees on Wednesday. The unique shape is fashionable and overall a way to make any outfit more interesting. The closed toed Birkenstock Clogs also produce similar comfort but emits the same vibe that the sandals do in comparison to the other slides as well. Crocs act as a timeless transitional slide throughout the year and can be worn in any weather shifting with or without socks or getting a pair with built in fur.

The Winter is a more distinct time for slides. DC winters especially call for more boots and water resistant shoes so not just any slide can withstand the season. It was last semester when I came back from Christmas break and suddenly everyone’s feet were covered in sheepskin! I hadn’t even realized uggs made a slide of such practicality and cuteness. The loafer flair of not being a booty but still enclosed all around the entire foot just seemed to work with every winter outfit! There just seemed to be so much comfort and warmth wrapped up in a quick to put on shoe. 

Howard University is a school that effortlessly trendsets and the observation of the routines and cultures that come out of it can be so interesting! Each slide accommodates each different type of student and caters to their needs of that season. Whether you’re looking for a unique street beat or don’t want to compromise elegance for convenience, there is a slide for you. As you hustle through the yard take a moment every now and again to look down for some inspiration and you just might get induced by the sensation of theS Seasonal Slide Guide.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/