Culture > News

The Road to No. 24: Serena Williams Chases Tennis History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The undeniable talent and remarkable legacy that tennis legend Serena Williams has displayed throughout her reign in the World of Tennis, is one that is still being written.

Williams, a proud mother and fierce competitor is one step closer to claiming Grand Slam title No.24. at this year’s US Open. This feat has only been accomplished by Margaret Court, who holds the record for the most Grand Slams in tennis history.

Everyone knows that Serena is the goat, but if she is crowned the Champion at the end of this tournament, she really will be the greatest of all time.

After struggling early in her third round match against Sloane Stephens, many counted her out and projected defeat early. However, in typical Serena Williams fashion she managed to come back and win 2-6,6-2,6-2.

One of the many highlights of her game, the serve, helped Serena to fight back and move on to the next round. Claiming twelve aces and shooting 76% from her 1st serve, aided in her comeback as well.

On Monday, September 7, Serena will face M. Sakkari in the round of 16. Additionally, there is a possibility that she will face Naomi Osaka or Madison Keys. Both of these young black Women represent the many that have been inspired by the Williams sisters, and look to continue their legacy .

Good luck to Serena as she chases tennis history!

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD