Redirected Not Denied: Navigating Denials From Internship Oppurtunities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Going to college and studying your passion is an experience that can bring much purpose and joy. But, oh, when that internship is secured we tend to feel more secure in our career choice and as though we’ve made it one step closer to securing a full-time offer post graduation. But what happens when we get denied an internship? What happens when we don’t hear back from the company that we really desired to intern for? Not getting accepted into a much desired internship position can leave a long-lasting emotional imprint as well as the feeling of hopelessness and defeat. We must remember that denial is not the end, and we can be redirected into a greater, more fulfilling process that leads us to where we need to be. 

The pressure to get an internship is valid. Most companies, particularly reputable companies,  are looking for graduates who have work experience. Of course we all hope to secure an internship, but if one does not receive any acceptances, it is not the end of the world. 

When faced with disappointments, such as not receiving any internship opportunities, one must find the light at the end of the tunnel – the purpose in the storm. One must decide to be positive even when it feels as if all hope is lost. Being denied can seem as if it is the end and that there is no room for future opportunities, but one must look beyond their current situation, and understand that their denial could be leading them into being directed into the right place. 

Kanye West’s  recent documentary on Netflix titled, “JeenYuhs: A Kanye Trilogy “ showcases that denials can lead you to where you are meant to be. The award-winning Hip Hop icon was denied from many record labels before being signed with Def Jam’s Roc-a- Fella records.When faced with denial, Kanye could have felt defeated as if his opportunity to become a renowned rapper wouldn’t  come to pass. Decades later, we see that his denials did not stop him from becoming a multi-platinum album producing, award winning artist.  Kanye’s rejections served a purpose, and eventually, he overcame and took his rightful place in the music industry. 

You may not want to be the next rapper, or celebrity, but like Kanye, our denials do not deny us from having success but rather serve as  redirection to a hopeful future. There is beauty and purpose in the waiting. Sometimes, good things come to those who wait. Wait, my friend. A denial is a redirection. One day, you’ll have the work experiences of your dreams and understand the purpose in denial.

Nia Robinson

Howard '23

I am Nia Robinson — a senior Strategic Communications student at Howard University. My love for writing and my love for inspiring others merge together through the inspirational articles that I write for Her Campus Magazine. I seek for readers to feel encouraged and empowered after reading the articles that I write.