Hero Images with HC Branding 15?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 15?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design

Ready, Set, Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Feeling tired, frustrated, overwhelmed?

School semester started off rougher than you thought? Join the club. Luckily, I have a solution that might work for you: self-care. 

According to Oprah Magazine, “Research suggests that the more we practice self-care, the more confident, creative, and productive we are. We also make better decisions, build stronger relationships, and communicate more effectively”. Who doesn’t want to reap those benefits?

It is important to take care of yourself emotionally, physically, and spiritually. If not every day, at least do so periodically -not just when you hit rock bottom. Learning the importance of small activities such as eating right, exercise, or just taking a time-out, can help significantly when it comes to de-stressing and being able to roll with the punches that life can bring. 

Unfortunately, we often deem ourselves “too busy” for self-care due to school, work or other activities. Much needed me-time comes last on the agenda, when it should come first. It’s time to stop putting yourself last.

That being said, there is no “right” way to engage in self-care- it’s completely up to you! Here are a few ideas.

1. More sleep. As I’m sure you may know, sleep has a huge impact on how we feel. That being said, most people need about 7 to 8 hours of quality sleep in order to function efficiently. It’s time to give those all-nighters a rest.  Focus on having a timely and efficient night routine so you can maximize the amount of time you spend getting those much needed zzz’s. Pro tip: Don’t hit the ‘snooze’ button in the morning. You’ll only feel more disrupted and tired once you do actually have to get out of bed. 

2. Detox from technology and social media. So much of our day is spent in front of screens. Social media and technology in general can serve as a huge distraction from studies, work, and just life. Sometimes, you need to tune out all the background noise in order to truly reset. Limit your screen time; your eyes will thank you.

3. Go outside. No matter how busy you are, try to get a breath of fresh air at least once a day. It not only has health benefits such as reducing stress, but also positively impacts mental health and the immune system. Get out and smell the roses!

4. Write in a journal. Writing in my journal at the end of a long day can be very relaxing. Journaling in a quiet, peaceful environment can be quite enlightening- it often helps me to reflect about myself and to be more aware of my mental health and how I’m feeling. It also allows me to consider my goals for the rest of the week.

5. Declutter. Studies show that clutter can increase your cortisol levels, which is a hormone related to stress. The less cluttered your space is, the more at ease and in control you will feel. Personally, clutter can make it very difficult for me to focus on any work at hand. I find it rewarding to spend a bit of time cleaning-up and organizing before I sit down to start homework.

6. Light a candle. I had to save the best for last- this is one of my personal favorites on the list. It might seem like a small thing to do, but there are few things as satisfying as lighting a candle at the end of a stressful day. Calming scents such as lavender and vanilla not only smell amazing, but are also shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Best of both worlds!

Overall, make time for yourself and stop feeling bad about saying “no”. According to Erica M. Wollerman, Psy.D. and psychologist, “Our expectations of ourselves in different situations are unrealistic so you most likely are not able to do all the things you might think you need to do—that’s okay. You are more important than your to-do list, so prioritize your well-being above some of the little extra tasks you might think you need to do.”

Ask yourself, what do I want to do? 

As a college student, this can sound like a completely foreign question, especially with school pulling us in one direction, and friends and extracurriculars pulling us somewhere completely different. However, I truly mean it when I say this- slow down, figure out what makes you happy, and take the time to do just that! Ready, set, self-care!

Camryn Clanton is a rising junior at Howard University with a Political Science major and Philosophy minor. She's a city girl through and through, having been born and raised in Chicago. She has enjoyed writing since an early age, but a few of her other interests are music and foreign language (been learning Mandarin for 7 years). In the future, Camryn hopes to combine her passions for law and foreign language by pursuing the field of international law. Camryn's main goal with her writing is to inspire, encourage, and uplift the women around her.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.