Raise your hand if you’re single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

For those in a relationship, February 14th is a day you anticipate. It’s filled with love and admiration. Most couples already have their plans or reservations made long before the holiday approaches. However, when it comes to those of us who won’t be boo’d up this year, we ask ourselves the same question: How am I gonna celebrate if I’m single? What am I supposed to do if all my friends are in relationships? 

Don’t worry, I too am single

and I got you. 

I am going to give you all the tips for the perfect v-day. For me, the most important thing is to make sure I am doing something that makes me happy. This should be the same tactic you use while trying to make plans. Whether your thing is self care, movie marathons, or a night out on the town, plan it & do it. 

We got lucky this year, v-day falls on a Friday, and Friday is the best night to turn up. One idea to celebrate could be something as simple as getting together with a few friends and taking a night out on the town, there are plenty of local night clubs nearby. A few of my favorites are Bliss, Ultra Bar, and Deja Vu. Getting together with your girls and having a fun night full of drinks and dancing is a perfect way to celebrate! 

Another idea that we tend to neglect, is to take yourself out on a date. Who knows you better than you know yourself? 

Exactly, no one! 

Buy yourself your favorite chocolate or go to your favorite restaurant. There is so much pressure to have a S.O. and I assure you, being single and spoiling yourself is perfectly OK. Alone time is essential, but if you don’t want to spend this holiday alone or at a club, there are other options. 

A “Galentines Night In” is another fun way to celebrate. This GNI can be something as simple as face masks and movies or games, drinks, and fun! The first step to planning this night would be to invite whoever you want, and get a head count so you know exactly who’s coming and what to buy. The next step would be to run to the store and buy snacks, drinks, games if needed, and decorations. Making a playlist or picking what movies to watch is also something to keep in mind. Setting up the room you will be hosting this GNI in is essential in making your guests feel comfortable and welcomed. Once you’ve done all these things, your night is planned! 

As you wrap up on reading all three of these pitches, remember that this day is all about love! Remember, in order to love others, you must love yourself first. Whether you choose to have a girls night In, a night out, or take yourself on a date, choose what makes you happy.

Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.