Pursuing Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Lovest Watson, a film Major from Inglewood, California, is an aspiring film producer who is  striving to pavie his way in the film industry. He is best known for his position as an extra in the youtube series Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl which is sometimes referred to as “ABG.” Sitting down with Her campus-Howard, Watson offers useful advice for film lovers. 

1. How did you become an extra in one of the Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl episodes?

I replied to a casting call for extras from Issa Rae, we live around the same area. 

2. What do you like most about the episodes?

As a film major and scriptwriter, I enjoy the creativity in the writing of the series.

3. What are you involved with on campus?

On campus I am a member of EPP (Endustry Power Players), a member of the California Club, but I mainly work with fellow film production majors to produce new content.

4. What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time I enjoy playing guitar, working on scripts for my own short films and videos. Issa Rae and her web series’ ABG and Fly Guys have inspired me to reach into my own life experiences to use as material for videos and to keep writing.

5.  Any advice for people aspiring to be an extra/ actor/actress?

For people who are aspiring to be extras, there are a lot of opportunities in which people often post casting calls on websites or even on social media sites such Facebook  and Twitter.  For ABG they just had a recent walk-on role opportunity for season 2.It is good to just ask for what you want so ask to be an extra and you may just get it.

6.  Last words?

The world is need for creative thinkers and innovative people. Continue to work hard and be disciplined in what ever field you desire to be in.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!