Career

Pure Domination: Sabrina Ionescu Reaches 1,000 Assists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Phenomenal player and athlete, Sabrina Ionescu, is well on her way to having another spectacular season at the University of Oregon. In her final senior season, Sabrina is chasing what no other player in the National Collegiate Athletic Association has ever accomplished. 

As the NCAA all-time leader in career triple-doubles (17), Ms. Ionescu is 20 rebounds away from becoming the first player in Men’s or Women’s NCAA basketball history with 2,000 pts, 1,000 assists, and 1,0000 rebounds. 

She was able to recently gain her 1,000th assist in a 80-66 win over UCLA on February 15th. With 4 games left in the regular season, all eyes will be on her as she chases this great feat. 

However, as the Women’s National Basketball Association draft approaches in April 2020, many speculate that she will be the No.1 pick in the draft. Yet, due to her relationship with former NBA player Kobe Bryant, this 22-year-old has commented on several occasions that her only focus is finishing out this season in honor of her friend and NBA Legend. 

Next, the Oregon Ducks Women’s Basketball Team (24-2) will take on the California Golden Bears (10-15) on Friday, February 21st.  

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.