This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The coronavirus pandemic has put the world on pause, but stepping back from my daily routine has allowed me to hit the play button on all the movies I was previously too busy to watch. As I was scrolling through my suggested list, a thumbnail with Jamie Foxx caught my eye, and I was elated to see a black lead that was not related to any sort of black trauma. Project Power is a sci-fi action movie that had me on the edge of my seat for the entire hour and fifty-three minutes. I felt like I was watching a black Marvel movie set in New Orleans, Louisiana with a modern twist (and a unique drug problem.)

In the movie, they manufactured a pill, “Power”, that can give human beings supernatural powers. The only problem is that the high only lasts for five minutes and your power could kill you. (Not saying that I support, but this would be dope if it was actually real and less dangerous.)

What I really loved about this movie was the inner turmoil the characters faced over the dilemma of doing right versus wrong. Jamie Foxx plays an ex-special forces soldier in search of his daughter who was maliciously ripped out of his life. His character’s willingness to get her back by any means necessary is taken to the full extent. In addition to Foxx, Joseph Gordon-Levitt also stars in this film. He plays a NOLA cop in search of the source of Power, but he tries to level the playing field by also taking the pill. Despite these characters being in the wrong legally, I fully understand and support their actions from a moral perspective. 

I have nothing but praise for this movie. The acting was spot on, the action scenes are very well done, and by the end of it, I was cheering for Jamie Foxx to kick everybody’s ass. This movie is a must-see! 

It is available on Netflix. Happy Streaming!

My name is Brittney Wells. I am a sophomore marketing major from Naperville, Illinois. I have always been passionate about social justice and diversity and inclusion. I am now able to come my passion with my love for reading and writing. https://www.instagram.com/_brittneywells/
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD