Style > Beauty

Pat McGrath Shook the Internet with Other Worldly Makeup Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

World-renowned makeup artist, Pat Mcgrath has once again captivated us with her most recent look for the Maison Marginal Couture show, leaving the internet in awe. The artist has spent years crafting this specific look, creating over 300 options for this show alone. 

It is impossible to go onto social media right now and not see a makeup artist who is recreating this theatrical, porcelain-doll-skin look. McGrath and her team held a live Maison Margiela Masterclass on February 2, unveiling the secrets and techniques used in the runway look, and encouraging all to emulate it. 

McGrath disclosed that each look in the show included a subtle uniqueness to fit the model. However, all looks retained the shared thin-defined brows, vibrant blurred colors, and perfectly glossed-over skin.  

Before the special product was revealed, many speculated McGrath and her team’s use of the Kryolan Liquid Glass jelly as the secret to the doll-like look. Alternative recreations utilized Skin Illustrator’s Clear Gloss or classic Elmer’s glue and water to achieve similar effects. Nevertheless, McGrath swiftly addressed that in this process, just one product would not do.

What was the secret behind the flawless skin?  McGrath revealed that a mixture of The Freeman Renewing Cucumber Peel-Off Gel Facial Mask, Skin Illustrator’s Clear Gloss, Que Bella Hydrating Pineapple Peel-Off Mask, Calendula Peel-Off Mask, and distilled water were just some of the products contributing to the perfect, soft look. McGrath confirmed that the secret to that satisfying peel-off removal was peel-off face masks.  

While you could go and purchase all of the materials we are aware were used, I’m going to stay on the lookout for McGrath Lab’s release of their own formula and product, to perfect this look.

Special effects water-based glue was also applied around the nostrils, on the corners of the mouth, the chin, and around the upper inner corner of the eyes to increase the longevity of the glazed look. McGrath also emphasizes the importance of using your fingers to blur harsh lines, enhancing the dimension in your eyes and creating a softer illusion of the blush of the lips. 

Contrary to popular belief, McGrath advises against heavily powdering the face for this look, advocating instead for a light touch, particularly under the eyes for a subtle pick-me-up. 

The Maison Marginal Couture show makeup, inspired a whole new collective of people to get to know who Pat McGrath is. Users on Tikok have shared their disappointment towards the public for not recognizing the decades of work and influence this artist holds. 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT87Xo7du/

McGrath is most of all surprised at the attention this look has received. Over and over she highlights her joy in viewing all of the recreations. Encouraging more to try out this look for themselves adding on her Instagram that we should “Keep the creativity flowing by tagging your recreated runway looks. You might just snag our new lab drop before anyone else!” 

Shop the look

Morghan Langston is a sophomore Journalism major, Women's Gender and Sexualities Studies minor, at Howard University. She has a deep interest in entertainment and media and is learning to navigate skills for these fields through writing for Her Campus and Cover2Cover magazine. She also continues to practice these skills through her various social media engagements. Outside of school, she enjoys writing poetry, reading, baking, going to the movies, fashion, and spending quality time with friends and family.