marianarodr nappy ?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
marianarodr nappy ?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nappy
Style

OUR FAVORITE 2020 GRAMMYS’ RED CARPET LOOKS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Last Sunday, music’s biggest event of the year was held in Hollywood.

The 62nd annual Grammy Awards, hosted by Alicia Keys, featured performances from musicians such as Billie Ellish and Lizzo (Two of the Grammys’ most-nominated artists).

The ceremony is known for its bold, avant-garde fashion, which continued on the red carpet last Sunday. 

Here are our TOP FIVE red carpet looks from the Grammys:

#5: Billie Eilish

In Addition to receiving six nominations, Eilish set a record as the youngest artist to be nominated for four main Grammy nominations at JUST 17 years old! Eilish is known for her eccentric fashion sense and her red carpet look was nothing short of it. Eilish wore a Gucci suit, which she complemented with black gloves, lengthy bad a** green fingernails, and a pair of dark shades.

#4: Cardi B

Compared to Cardi’s 2019 Grammys red carpet look , her fans were expecting another BIG reveal. Cardi’s look this year was not as outré as last year’s, nothing over the top, no dramatics. Cardi opted for a more elegant take. However, Cardi wouldn’t be Cardi without showing off some skin. Cardi wore a beautiful nude sheer dress embroidered with crystals that was custom designed by Casey Cadwallader of Mugler. 

#3: Bebe Rexha

Though I personally think this red carpet look deserves to be Top 2, Bebe Rexha makes TOP THREE.  “This suit made me feel like a strong Roman,” said Rexha. I have to agree. Rexha looked alluring, yet demanding in her Christian Cowan suit and her Sophia Webster heels to match. To top off this look, Rexha kept her hair short and minimalist which brought attention to the sheer top that glistened under her suit. 

#2: Billy Porter

It wouldn’t be a red carpet event if Billy Porter didn’t show up in a dramatic getup. Porter showed up in a custom made Baja East jumpsuit inspired by the Disco era. His jumpsuit was not the main attention though, his hat was. His hat had a remote controlled fringe veil that was made up of 70,000 crystals! This look was complemented with a silver spider bracelet and a Judith Leiber handbag with matching Coach boots that consisted of 9,000 crystals. We can confidently say Porter was Iced Out.

#1: Ariana Grande

Ahhh. At last. Our Number one choice, Ariana Grande. Grande appeared in a bluish-gray three-tiered masterpiece. Unfortunately, Grande did not attend the 2019 Grammys award ceremony so her fans were excited to see what she had up her sleeve! Fortunately for us she showed up with TWO! Two sleeved gloves that matched her custom made Giambattista Valli ball gown. Grande may have not won a Grammy this year, but her appearance was GRAND.

Bolanle Adebomi is a Sophomore, Public Relations Major with a concentration in fashion at Howard University. She was born in Nigeria and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She is an ambitious multifaceted soul who is dedicated in learning all the facets of the fashion and business industry. She hopes to use her skills to write and inform her audience.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.