This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The literary canon often neglects that great Black literature exists. When Black authors are included in conversations about great writers, Black men are normally the topic of discussion with the possibility of a black woman being included. Black women also deserve literature that can reflect their experience. As an english major, I never miss an opportunity to share the wealth of amazing Black women writers I come across. One notable author who has had a huge influence on my literary journey is Octavia Butler.

Octavia Butler (June 22, 1947 – February 24, 2006) was a science fiction writer. Her writing career lasted from 1970-2006. She was the recipient of multiple awards such as, Hugo Awards, Nebula Awards, and a MacArthur Fellowship. She is amongst the few and most profound of Black female science fiction writers. 

As someone who used to hate sci-fi novels, Butler’s work appeals to all readers. Her work is mostly classified along the lines of Black Feminism, Afro-futurism, and environmentalism but once you look beyond these categories, you can find a Butler book perfect for you. While her concepts may be challenging to some, her novels are written in a language that is accessible to all, while still maintaining a fine level of sophistication and great  storytelling. She covers a wide range of topics including aliens, slavery, and the future. Whether you’re into short stories, novellas, novels, or series, there is a Butler book for you.

Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.