This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

We’ve heard it all before: “Study three hours daily. Attend ALL your classes. Take good notes.” But let’s be honest, achieving a 4.0 has never been that simple. Yes, this advice could help, but it’s not a master plan.

So what’s the real key to success!? Listen up.

First and foremost, you must go into the new semester with a stress-free attitude. Mentally prepare yourself that there will be challenges throughout the semester but those challenges are not anything you’re unable to overcome. Second, affirm yourself. Let yourself know that this will be your most successful semester. Now, last but not least, manifest. Speak your peace, success, and 4.0 into existence. 

This is a  general guide that has worked for me throughout my entire undergrad career, but I have also found a few extra keys to success along the way.

Key #1: Netflix. Yes, Netflix… or HULU, Xfinity TV, or whatever streaming service you prefer. Often, students get so wrapped up in schoolwork that they forget to find time to “just chill.” We all have those school days that are longer and more exhausting than others. On those days, close your notes, climb in bed, and chill. Binge watch an episode (or two) of your current series before knocking out your homework.

Key #2: Snacks. Calling all foodies! If you’re anything like me then a hungry mind is a distracted mind. If I’m hungry, then the idea of my paying attention to a zoom meeting is preposterous. I’ve learned to keep snacks on deck. In between classes and meetings, grab a bite to keep your energy high. As a gentle reminder, try to plan for healthier snacks like fruits, veggies, and nuts. Those snacks are guilt-free and body friendly. ;)

Key #3: Planner. This might be the most predictable advice in this article, but it is also the most essential. Planners save lives. They also avoid stress, confusion, and procrastination. Use your planner to keep track of your class schedules, meetings, and homework. You can even use your planner to allocate time specifically for your Netflix and snack time throughout the day. Very often, college students cite poor time management skills as their academic downfall. Avoid this common problem with a planner. 

Get ready to crush this semester and secure that 4.0!

Hi! My name is Brielle; I'm a sophomore honors Public Relations major at Howard University. I enjoy cheerleading, traveling, and writing. Thanks for reading my articles!
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD