This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The glam, the fab, the wings; these are all things that we love about Victoria’s Secret. In the 2015 Victoria’s Secret New York Fashion Show, model Maria Borges was the first black model to wear her natural hair. There were forty-four models walking in this year’s show and out of those models only eight were black. Out of the eight Black models Borges was the only one who wore her natural hair. Borges has walked in the show three times now, and this was the first time that she debuted her real hair. One could not help but notice the glowing skin and alluring confidence oozing from the 5 foot eleven-inch-tall Angolan born model. Maria told entertainment news reporter Scott, “I told my agent I wanted to walk in the Victoria’s Secret show with my natural hair. I was nervous, but I had to do it. When they said, ‘yes’ I didn’t’t expect it, but I was so happy!” 

Maria has definitely given other black models the courage to rock their natural hair and in the years to come, which I’m sure they will do so. She was overly excited with the positive feedback she received and took to Instagram to express her feelings, she posted a picture of herself with the caption, “AFRICA, this one is for you! I LOVE YOU. Chère Afrique bien aimée… #MBmakinghistory #afrohair #bigwings #vsfashionshow #vsfs2015 #AFRICA.” 

Tune into CBS this Saturday, December 8th at 10 PM to watch this Angel spread her wings on the runway!

Montana Couser is a Journalism Major at Howard University. Her ultimate career goal in life is to become the Editor-in-Cheif of a top magazine or a News Anchor for E! News. She is from the city of brotherly love Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where she likes to spend time with family and friends. Montana transferred from another HBCU into Howard as a Sophomore and hopes to gain more experience in the field of the journalism as her time progresses at Howard. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Montana is also a contributing writer for her schools newspaper The Hilltop. In her free time she enjoys going to the movies and reading blogs.