This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

School may be kicking our butts right now because it’s finals week, but what are we going to do when school is out? COVID cases are soaring, so another lockdown seems inevitable (despite what Trump says). It looks like we will be spending the holiday indoors. After a semester of virtual learning, we’re all tired of computer screens; maybe it’s time to listen to our parents advice and “Pick up a book.” 

I never thought I’d say this, but I plan on taking my parent’s advice. Here’s a few books that I look forward to reading over winter break:

A Promised Land by Barack Obama

Our forever president released his memoir A Promised Land which journeys readers through his political career. Obama invites readers into his White House to explore the most notable moments of the Obama administration. Furthermore, this book is Obama’s revelation on the true meaning of democracy and what it takes to make history. This highly anticipated book sold millions of copies in its preorders, and it is predicted to be one of 2020’s best books.

Home Body by Rupi Kaur

Rupi Kaur, the author of both New York Times Bestsellers:  Milk and Honey and The Sun and Her Flowers, has done it again. Rupi Kaur released her third collection of poetry titled Home Body. This book is all about self exploration and finding sanctuary within yourself. Kaur describes the book as a “collection of raw, honest conversations with oneself” that instills values of loving, accepting, and embracing oneself. Kaur’s work consistently jumps off the page and into the minds of its readers. Her work teaches invaluable lessons. This self- discovery piece is a must read. 

Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho

High profile killings of Black people by white officers shook the nation this summer as cities across the U.S. erupted in protests that demanded equality for all races and accountability for unlawful killings. Emmanuel Acho, former NFL player and FOX Sports Analyst, answers the awkward questions that come along with conversation about racial differences: “If Black people can say the N- word, why can’t I? How can I have white privilege if I’m not wealthy?” This book is a space for learning and understanding the experiences of a Black man. The time for racial equality is now. Read this book and get educated.

Enjoy your winter break and follow these three R’s: Relax. Rejuvenate. READ.

Hi! My name is Brielle; I'm a sophomore honors Public Relations major at Howard University. I enjoy cheerleading, traveling, and writing. Thanks for reading my articles!
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD