Wellness > Health

Megan Rapinoe Wins 2019 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

A fighter for women’s equality and a two-time World Cup Soccer Champion, Megan Rapinoe was recently honored at the 2019 Glamour Women of the Year Awards. She was also honored along with Oscar winner Ava DuVernary, Greta Thunberg, Charlize Theron, Yara Shahidi, Tory Burch, and Margaret Atwood. All  were recognized in a very special way for the hard work and dedication that they have continuously poured into their specific lines of work, as well as, enhancing communities in and around them. Additionally, Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe, also referred to as the “champion”, gave an exceptional speech embedded with words of wisdom to the crowd, as she spoke eloquently and passionately about her endless dedication towards ending gender inequality and discrimination in the female sports arena.

Her Team USA teammates were in attendance to cheer her on. Rapinoe is not only a leader but a revolutionary change maker. Throughout her speech she referenced Colin Kaepernick and Tarana Burke as individuals who drastically seek change and fight everyday to make a difference in the world. Most viewers may only know Megan Rapinoe as an elite co-captain and soccer player but she has proven to be more than a “champion.” Her encouraging words of fortitude and resilience will surely inspire the next young advocate/leader.                                                          

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.