jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making Money Moves: Cardi B’s Rise to the Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Source: REX Shuttershock

Cardi B, born Belcalis Almanzar, was just a regular girl from the South Bronx of New York, New York. She was born to a Trinidadian mother and a Dominican father. Growing up, she spent a lot of time around her grandmother who lived in Washington Heights, hence her thick accent. By age 19, Cardi turned to stripping. It was her outlet to get away from the poverty and the domestic abuse she faced in her relationship during the time. As an exotic dancer, Cardi hustled to make the money she needed to survive. She even says that stripping saved her, allowing her to go back to school. However, because of Cardi’s dedication to being an exotic dancer, she dropped out of college. With her now cosmetically enhanced body, Cardi continued her grind not only on the pole but, on the internet.

Cardi B began to go viral on social media platforms like Vine and Instagram in 2013. She was not afraid of using her platform to speak candidly about sex, relationships, her personal struggles, and all of her money making moves. She later went on to join Love & Hip Hop: New York in 2015. On the show, she showed off her emerging music career and complex relationship with her incarcerated boyfriend. After leaving the show to fully pursue her career as a rapper, Cardi signed to Atlantic Records in February of 2017. As we all know, her debut single, “Bodak Yellow,” was a hit record. According to the New York Times, “Bodak Yellow” was “ the rap anthem of the summer.” This hit record lead Cardi B to make music history. Knocking down pop star, Taylor Swift, she reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. This milestone makes Cardi B the second female rapper to have a chart-topping solo record since Lauryn Hill in 1998.

As a Bronx native and a fan of Cardi B’s come up, her success is a joy to witness. Fan are watching closely to see what else she has in store.

Nichelle Robinson Hernandez is a sophomore journalism major, graphic design minor from New York. As a journalism major, she not only loves writing and sharing stories, but making a difference through her words and content. She believes that despite cultural, racial and religious distinctions, the one thing that unifies us as women is our womanhood. As a part of the Content Team, she aspires to influence the minds of young women just like her with relatable and dynamic content. Happy Reading!