Maia Chaka Makes History as the First Black Female Offical in the NFL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

On March 5th, 2021, Maia Chaka officially became the first black women official in NFL History and also the second woman to join the league as a full-time referee.

This feat is simply like no other, as this HBCU graduate from Norfolk Folk State University has made the impossible now seem possible. 

In its 101 year history, the NFL has never been more inclusive to women as it is now. With Chaka officially named a league official, women now work in all sports avenues as broadcasters, commentators, coaches, and now as referees in the game. 

A sport that was for so long seen as male only, has now recognized that women have a rightful place in this industry. It’s time to not only express inclusivity now, but for all of the years ago.

Chaka previously worked as an official at the collegiate level : Conference USA and PAC-12. Additionally, she had experience as well in the XFL, until it experienced challenges due to Covid-19.

Her work ethic and resume is solid as she is also a former health and physical education teacher at Renaissance Academy in Virginia Beach, VA. She has held this position since 2006, and vigorously dedicates her time to helping at-risk youth. 

“I am honored to be selected as an NFL official, but this moment is bigger than a personal accomplishment. It is an accomplishment for all women, my community, and my culture”, were the words expressed by Chaka in the NFL’s official release statement

The month of March marks the beginning of Women’s History Month, and it is incredibly fitting that the league announced this news during this time. The work that the league does now to also combat racism, sexism, and other -isms, will largely affect the future of this sport. 

Chaka’s hiring, firmly places her name down in history, but also serves as a reminder to young black girls that they can do anything that they put their minds to. There is no such thing as a male-only inclusive space, and this allows women the opportunity to break down even more barriers. 

Dream big and know that nothing is impossible, are the short sentiments to take away from this news. If Maia Chaka, a young black woman can join the National Football league as an official, then there is nothing that black women can’t do.

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD