absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Lisa Leslie Set To Receive Statue Outside Of Los Angeles Staples Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

WNBA legend and Hall of Famer, Lisa Leslie, is undoubtedly one of the greatest professional women’s basketball players in the history of women’s basketball. Considering this, she is all too deserving of a statue in her honor. As a four-time Olympic gold medalist, three- time WNBA MVP, and two-time WNBA Champion, Leslie has devoted her entire career to fighting for the rights of professional women’s basketball players. Standing at six-foot-five, Leslie has never been afraid to go against the grain and fight for women’s rights. She is a true legend, icon, and phenomenon. 

Having a statue outside of the Los Angeles Staples Arena is a true testament to all of the hard work that a player has put into their respective organizations, and all of their great accomplishments. The Staples Arena is home to several professional sports teams including the Los Angeles Clippers (NBA), Los Angeles Lakers (NBA), Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA), and Los Angeles Kings (NHL). Lakers legends such as Shaquille O’Neal, Kareem Abdul- Jabbar, Magic Johnson, and former sports broadcaster Chick Hearn, all were honored with statues outside of the Staples Center. Thus, this will be a legendary moment in history for Leslie, as she will be the first female athlete. 

Image: Official Lakers Release (NBA.com)// Image of Shaquille O’Neal Statue

Lisa Leslie gave her all during the nine seasons that she played with the Los Angeles Sparks, as mentioned above, she was a mastermind that completely changed the face of professional women’s basketball. Leslie has taken all of the achievements that she  obtained during her time playing for the WNBA with her throughout the rest of her life. As a current coach, wife, and mother, Leslie has shown great leadership and balance. Honoring her legacy with this statue will not only be a testament to her phenomenal career as a professional women’s basketball player, but it would pay tribute to all of the barriers that she has surpassed due to her love of basketball. 

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.