Jackie Aina Wins YouTuber of the Year at NAACP Image Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Jackie Aina/ Instagram

Beauty Guru Jackie Aina is the first-ever recipient of the YouTuber of the Year at the 49th annual NAACP Image Awards (check out a short clip of her acceptance speech here).

Aina, who has garnered almost two million subscribers on her YouTube channel, has been vocal in her support of diversity and representation in both the YouTube and Beauty communities. She most recently criticized Kylie Jenner for not sending samples of her new concealers to dark-skinned influencers to review and called out model Gigi Hadid for excluding brown shades from her makeup line back in November. According to Bustle, her fight for inclusivity extended to a partnership with Too Faced Cosmetics to expand their range of the Born This Way Foundation.

Jackie Aina/ YouTube

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) partnered with Google, YouTube’s parent company, to create the inaugural award. The ceremony was hosted on Sunday, January 14 and honored outstanding work by Black people in television, film, literature and music.

You can watch the NAACP Image Awards live on TV ONE on January 15 at 9/8c.

Kési Felton is a junior at Howard University in Washington, DC majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. Having attended writing and photojournalism summer camps and growing up around Atlanta's CNN Center she discovered her love for journalism. Upon starting her journey at Howard, she rediscovered writing as a way to share her life experiences and connect with a larger audience. Through writing about pertinent social, political, and cultural issues she hopes to establish her unique identity as a Black female journalist and create more opportunities for Black people to share their stories.