This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As the fall season approaches,  so does cuffing season. Cuffing season is known as a time when dating adults choose to try to actively find a significant other, rather  than continuing to be single. The change in temperature brings out the social side in us all! I know being boo’d up is what a lot of people hype up, but is it really all it’s cracked up to be?

As the amazing singer and songwriter Lizzo has already preached in her hit song Truth Hurts, “I am 100% that b…”,  and she was speaking for all women when she said that.  Being “cuffed” might be what some people want, but it is also perfectly fine to be by yourself this fall and winter.  The most important person in your life is you. Therefore, You don’t need a man to know that you are already a goddess.

Photo Courtesy of CreateHER Stock

No matter the time of year or where you are in life, you should always be comfortable with yourself and who you are, even if you’re still figuring that out.  You should always love and respect yourself because it is all about personal growth and self-love from now on. I am speaking this into existence : women will no longer place self value on what others think of them. You are the bomb, a queen and absolutely everything in between, from the tips of your toes to the top of your crown. .

Photo Courtesy of CreateHER Stock

Finding peace in being alone is also an important step in self-acceptance and overcoming insecurities.  It is always okay to have some doubts or questions about yourself because we are forever changing and growing, but loving yourself should never be something you question.  Being alone is often times the best kind of peace you can have in your life. It gives you time to self-reflect and get your head right when life is just doing too much.

Photo Courtesy of CreateHER Stock

Dependency on a person is real, and it is not okay.  Relying on someone 24/7, whether it is physically or emotionally, can be very unhealthy. Everyone needs their own space sometimes, including you and there is nothing wrong with that.  Finding love in alone time is an amazing thing and something every woman should learn to do.  

I hope you know that you  are the biggest executive, CEO, and boss  in your life and you are all you need! While cuffing season may seem like it’s the hype, lock-in and focus on yourself! Lizzo gave you the verse, now believe it! 

Country girl in the big city! Originally from Southern Maryland; I am Political Science major, History minor at Howard University. Also, a Content Writer for Her Campus Howard University, the Vice President of the Ida B. Wells Society, and content writer for The Liberato.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.