mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Support Detained Immigrants in Trump’s America

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Recently, the topic regarding illegal immigration has become both extremely relevant and controversial while regularly being discussed in the media. Trump’s rhetoric which has been filled with negative and degrading speech, has placed our country into a standstill over how to handle the immigration issue. Despite the differences between Democratic and Republican beliefs on immigration, it can be easily stated that basic human rights are being neglected for those traveling across the border. While the Trump administration describes the detention centers as caring facilities, an overwhelming amount of human rights have been violated, and a lack of empathy have consumed the centers. Children have been ripped away from their parents for long periods of time, and individuals are being held in cramped compartments without much air or food. It is also the case that homes are being sincerely raided.  All of this happening with the hopes of “making America great again”. 

While some of us may not experience the struggles of immigration firsthand, we can positively assist those who are. The way in which we react to conflict is much more powerful. Here are four ways in which you can support detained immigrants:

1. Donate, donate, donate

Even though it may be difficult to understand the trauma of being detained in a detention center, one of the most important ways we can help is by donating. Whether it be your time by volunteering or some of your own stuff, those who are being held by ICE  in American detention centers need basic goods. Clothes, diapers, food, and bottled water are all goods that are needed in centers around the country. If you can’t make a physical donation, you can also donate money online. When donating your money, make sure you donate to legitimate charities or organizations that provide aid to immigration centers. 

2.     Advocate/Get Involved

One of the more political ways to help those immigrating is to advocate or get involved in your local ACLU chapter. Because we are in the District of Columbia, we are presented with opportunities to get involved in the conversation on immigration. Find ways to lobby on Capitol Hill or peacefully protest for the rights of immigrants whose names have been rejected by the Trump Administration. The American Civil Liberties Union is a great way to get involved in the fight for immigration rights. There are numerous local chapters throughout the country. You’ll not only help families immigrating in your community, but also those immigrating around the nation.

3.        VOTE!!!

Voting is perhaps the most critical way to voice your opinion and views as a citizen. Voting is a right that is vital for our nation’s success, yet it is ignored by far too many of us on a daily basis. In order to change the neglectful and hate induced immigration process that has hurt so many, it’s important to vote on immigration laws. Presidential elections are important, of course, but so are senatorial elections. Vote for members in Congress that you feel will represent your values on immigration and restore basic human rights for those who are trying to establish a better life in our country. Voting is an instrument used for change, the only way to change our nation is to vote in favor of those who are abandoned by our nation.

Immigration in America has always been a part of our nation’s history. While some may consider America as their national roots,  we all are descended from immigrants (unless you’re Native American). Even though some may have come voluntarily and others forcibly, America is a nation of immigrants. Many immigrate to the US for different reasons, however, one thing that should be guaranteed once they cross the border is respect. Trump’s America lacks the respect and dignity that our nation was supposed to be built on. With your help, our nation can restore respect for immigrants and reinstate strong support for immigration rights. Be a force of change for those that look to the US to change their lives.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.