How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe into the Fall & Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As you all may already know, transitioning from summer to fall can be very harsh— literally and figuratively but that doesn’t mean your wardrobe has to suffer! Here are some really cute ways to stretch your summer wardrobe into fall seamlessly without having to break the bank.

1. Covered Crops

For the ladies that can’t go an entire week without wearing a crop top, good news for you— Crop tops can still work for your fall wardrobe when paired with an oversized jacket and high waisted jeans. The pairing of the jacket and high waisted pants will allow for your crop top look to go off without a hitch while still maintaining to keep you warm throughout the day!

2. Layers, Layers, Layers

It’s easy to believe that once the weather starts getting colder you must go out and spend an arm and a leg on a winter coat— incorrect! In fact, for the frugal fashionista applying the layering principal can save tons of money and a trip to the mall. Try layering your shirts and light jackets to achieve a boho chic look while still maintaining to stay warm. 

3. Save the Skirt!

Don’t be so quick to throw those summer skirts into the back of your closet, they too can be used revamped to fit into your fall catalog! An easy way to make your summer skirts work during the Fall is to layer them with a pair of your favorite tights or over-the-knee socks.  This creates a seamless fall look with an added school girl flair to it. You can also do this for your favorite pair of chiffon shorts you’ve been dying to wear that one last time!

4. Dressed for Success

One of the simplest ways to stretch your summer wardrobe is to pair your summer dresses with stockings and a jacket. Depending on the weather a denim jacket might suffice, but if the weather is brisk enough pull out your fall leather jacket. This look is simple and easy to pull off.

5. Re-inventing white

According to the fashion Gods, wearing white after Labor Day is a major fashion offense. I know, it can be hard putting away your favorite pair of white jeans, but if you pair your white jeans properly, you can save them! In order to get away with wearing white jeans in the fall, always pair them with dark fall colors. As opposed to wearing your light wash denim shirt, try pairing your pants with a dark olive jacket or rust colored top, this way you can wear your white jeans while still maintaining a fall look.