This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s the day before your college move-in day. All your bags are in the car, your outfit is spread out on your bed, and you and your group chat friends have already planned your moves for the rest of the week. You can’t wait to tell your family goodbyes and get settled into your new life of sweet freedom. 

Fast forward to the end of Freshman week when the parties are over, and the reality that you’ll actually be starting college classes sets in.  Suddenly, everything around you feels cold and unfamiliar. Now all you want is to be wrapped up in your bed at home, and to eat a meal you know was prepared with love by your mother.

Alas, there is no possibility of that happening, and your realization that culminates into a feeling of searing, crippling homesickness. It’s easy to get swept away into the ebbs and flows of such fearful emotions, but if left unresolved, they can culminate in failing grades and social withdrawal. To avoid that, here are some ways to nip homesickness in the bud before it becomes too overpowering.

1. Stay connected

You probably used to ignore the daily calls from your parents, siblings or other relatives the first few days after you moved in. Rather than drowning in remorse, take up your phone or computer and make contact with them! It could be a phone call, text message, video chat, or simply a photo showing your OOTD, or you engage in an activity on campus. 

Not only will this make you feel more connected to those who you are most familiar with, but your loved ones will be very appreciative of the fact that you are taking the time out to keep them updated despite your new, hectic schedule.

2. Find Your Tribe

Your first reflex, when faced with homesickness, is to find things, places or people that remind you of your home. While the first two might be harder to come by, especially if you attend a school far from home, there is a high chance that there are persons at your school who hail from the same country, state or city as you do. You can reach out to these people because it’s likely that they went (are still going through) the same feelings that you’re going through. 

It can be comforting for both parties to be able to relate to each other on things that their peers couldn’t understand because of cultural differences. If you’re lucky, your school might have a club dedicated to people from your area –  and if not, you can always start one!

3. Find Healthy Distractions

College students are often told to avoid the countless distractions that will be in and around campus, but not all distractions have to be inherently bad. Some activities can serve as positive reinforcement, while simultaneously distracting you from the overbearing emotions that stem from missing home. Examples of these positive distractions include involvement in school clubs or sports, touring or sightseeing popular spots in your school’s city, or volunteering through an organization or on your own. 

Be open-minded, since you never know if you could discover a new passion or talent. Get out and explore all that there is to discover in this new, exciting stage of your life. You definitely will not reach your full extent of potential experiences within the confines of your dorm room. 

4. Create a safe haven

While you should try to avoid spending too much time in your dorm room, you should definitely strive to make your room a comfortable, cozy space. If you didn’t before, have your parents/relatives send you personal items from your old bedroom or your home in general. It could be a blanket, pillow, stuffed animal, or even a coffee mug. Whatever the item is, the sentiment behind it should be strong enough to put you at ease, even if just for a fleeting moment. 

Another way to bring your room together is to print and hang photos of your loved ones and favorite places from your phone. Even if they can’t be there physically, it will definitely help to see their familiar smiles posted at the desk or wall of your safe space.

5. Cut yourself some slack

You are not the only student feeling anxious about starting this new phase of life. You aren’t the only person who misses their pet or their grandmother’s cooking. It is definitely helpful to remember that you aren’t alone in your feelings of longing and sadness and that it is completely natural to feel the way you do. Allow yourself to feel and process your emotions thoroughly. 

When things become too overbearing, try to confide in your loved ones at home, new friends on campus, or trusted professionals who will listen to your issues from an unbiased place. Be sure to do your research about the services on campus (often free) which are geared towards helping students alleviate their woes and smoothen the transition into college. 

Never be afraid to ask for help, because at the end of the day, your productivity and subsequent success on campus is dependent on your overall health. Take the time out to make sure that your mental state is up to par, then trust yourself to allow everything to fall into place the way things are destined to.

Trevonae Williams is a junior journalism major + playwriting minor at Howard University, from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She enjoys writing, filming videos and creating any type of content that can uplift and inspire others!