This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Ladies, how has your Hot Girl Summer been?  

Earlier this year, Megan thee Stallion, 24-year-old female rapper from Texas, stamped the Summer of 2019 as an official “Hot Girl Summer”. As she explained to Twitter, being a hot girl has entailed living freely, being the best you, and just having fun. When many women decided to follow this motto and style of living this summer, a competition arrived soon after. Future, 35-year-old rapper from Atlanta, dropped a playlist called “Hot Boy Summer”, stirring the rivalry between the “Hot Girls” and the “City Boyz”/ “Hot Boys”. This Friday, Megan Thee Stallion will be dropping a new song titled “Hot Girl Summer” featuring female rapper, Nicki Minaj that can be added to our “Hot Girl Summer” playlist. 

After the phrase, “Hot Girl Summer” surfaced all over the internet and became so popular, Thee Stallion filed to have “Hot Girl Summer” trademarked. Celebrities such as Teyana Taylor, Lala Anthony, and SZA have joined the Hot Girl wave. As seen on Instagram, these celebrities have been “Driving the Boat” and turning up with Thee Stallion as a part of their hot girl summer. The idea of unapologetically living your best life and being you has gained a lot of attention and support from ladies everywhere. Who wouldn’t want to be a hot girl? Your hot girl summer isn’t over yet because it’s a hot girl semester too. Remember to be you and live your best life all year round. 

Kayla Hill

Howard '21

Kayla Hill is a Junior, Journalism major from Brooklyn, New York. She enjoys family time, music, and writing as a way to express herself. Through writing, Kayla would like to be a voice for the voiceless.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.