This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The lovely ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. hosted their annual “Sister to Sister” panel for incoming freshmen to “discuss the importance of establishing goals for yourself”. This empowering event was a collaboration with other women-led organizations such as Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Jewels, Inc., Revolt, Inc., Ladies of the Quad Social Club, and Her Campus Howard.

All the organizations sat together to give young women on campus advice on topics such as balancing school and your social life, making life-long friends, and experiencing feelings of imposter syndrome

As the panel came to a close, many young women shared their feelings regarding not advancing to the next round of Miss Freshman, a position in the Howard University Royal Court representing the freshman class. However, the young women shared they left the event uplifted from their unfavorable news. 

“The panel really gave a space for underclassmen to ask questions,” ​​HC Howard President, Alecia Taylor shared. “At the end, there was a sweet moment where some young ladies felt vulnerable enough to share their feelings about not moving to the next round of Miss Freshman. That’s what HC is about, fostering that safe environment, uplifting women, and celebrating one another unconditionally.” 

Aria Wilson, the First Vice-President of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated said the annual event is an open dialogue to provide a sense of community to freshman women on campus. Wilson, who is a senior strategic legal and management communications major, described this event as a “full circle moment” based on the sisterhood she has experienced in her sorority. Ultimately the panel event was hosted to bring together women-led organizations to have a significantly large reach and impact on freshman girls.

As a member of Her Campus, it is important to uplift and inspire other young women. We have all been in those same shoes and can help underclassmen in their college transition. HC Howard President, Alecia Taylor, gave advice on how she wines down after a stressful day, how Her Campus got her out of her shell, and what she would have told her freshman self at the beginning of her college experience.

”I think I speak for everyone in the org when I say we want the freshmen class to feel safe, accountable, and [feel] a sense of belonging,” said Taylor. 

For incoming freshmen interested in HC Howard you can find our events here and follow us on social media.

Hunter Nicole Stevens is the 2023-24 Vice-President of  Her Campus Howard.

Hi my name is Hunter Nicole Stevens and I am a sophomore journalism major at Howard University from Virginia Beach, VA. I currently write for The Hilltop, HerCampus, and HBCU Pulse.